JME Twitter?

Here’s the video: jMonkeyEngine - JAVA open source game engine [trailer] - YouTube
Sure there’s functions that have nothing new, i know. But it makes no difference for people who never heard about JME. The point is to show what they can do with it.

For any complain about “i don’t see my favourite feature” or “i dont like that music”, then you can get a video software and do it by yourself. I made in two days what nobody else did since 2011.

And the itch page https://end-world-coffee.itch.io/jmonkeyengine

10 Likes

Wew I really like what you did.

I am also working behind the scenes to fix how things are presented and give more exposure to the engine and the community. We technically have a blog in the website, i was thinking this could be the source for the updates and then have a bot that tweets and posts on itch the articles.

However i believe that since this is a community project, it shouldn’t be tied to a personal account.
Fell free to make your tutorials on your platforms but the official page should belong to an official “jmonkeyengine” account, would you agree to transfer it?
From there you can have admin access i guess, i’d have to ask to the rest of the core if they agree, if you are volunteering to manage it.

6 Likes

Someone from the team can sure create an official account there and i can give the admin access to the page.

I’m fine managing that JME itch page like updating the dev logs, updating the screenshots, improving the text, answering the coms … I’m online everyday on itch.

3 Likes

No, i mean the project page should be owned by the project account.
Since it is a community project, it shouldn’t be tied to a specific person (you in this case).
It would be inappropriate for all the people contributing to the project to have it connected to a specific name, instead of the community.

Also, i am not sure if we would even need a project page. I’ve looked into itch and i think a profile page would be enough. Unless we plan to add itch into our release cycle.

Videos and tutorials can be featured in the homepage and itch can provide just a redirect.

Actually. I’ve looked more into it. They do support iframe.
We can use your page theme (that is pretty nice) and embed blog posts with tutorials and such from the site using iframes.

1 Like

By the way, when I searched for jMonkeyEngine on itch I found this

https://jmonkeyengine.itch.io/

:thinking: ??

1 Like

Yes i made it :ok_hand:

2 Likes

This is what i say, i change it in the settings of the page.

It doesn’t work like that. JME has to be registered as a tool. If users go in tools, they will not get your profile. They have to see JME among the other tools like i did. Then, the new dev logs will be automatically shared in the dev logs of itch.

Yeah apparently it is not visible yet in the search engine, i’m trying to find out why. A new tool appears in the “tools” list so better to fix it fast.

Ok. So we would have something like https://jmonkeyengine.itch.io/jmonkeyengine correct?
I guess then we would be back to the idea of having devlogs posted by the bot.Since i’d like to keep the site as main source for that.

Yes this is the official link ^^
When a new devlog is uploaded it will appear here Devlogs - itch.io (in the “Most recent”). So everything new is good for the exposure of JME, everyone can see it.

Ok. Would you join our discord? We can discuss there

I’m already in your discord (Reinhard) ^^

I found an answer about why we cant see JME yet, many people have this problem

Nice work, I really like it. The only thing is that – I believe – the official font of jMonkeyEngine is the Foo Font (as seen in the Help > About window of the SDK and other places). Not trying to be pedantic, but I think that a coherent visual identity is important.

3 Likes

Thank you ! I didnt know where to find it ^^ I will update the banners i made.

2 Likes

@XIIIRen awesome work with the videos!

1 Like

So I take it this was just a rhetorical question and my help is not wanted then?

I’m not sure if I’m not trusted, since you went on to mention about pyramid schemes in your reply… I’m not asking for any official position, I’d just like to help the engine do better by helping post on the twitter or any other pages that look less active than is optimal- but regardless I’ll leave my low effort ideas here in case anyone else with access to the twitter decides its worthwhile doing

• Make a tweet linking to each monthly WIP thread at the end of every month
  • Tweet an existing JME related tutorial video once a week that may appeal to new users
  • Follow only accounts of JME related projects, so its easy to retweet JME content frequently (maybe even setup a retweet bot that auto-retweets a jme related hashtag, or do it manually if you want more quality control)

I had some more ideas but these 3 are simple and extremely low effort ways to guarantee at least a few new devs checking out the engine each month.

1 Like

I was not being rhetorical.

The other part was about oversight in general and not any person in particular. It’s not good for the community to have ‘official’ pages that the organization has no control over for any of a dozen reasons… whether person getting hit by a bus, person deleting all of their repositories and leaving without saying goodbye, or going insane and changing the tone of the content to something that has nothing to do with JME.

This is a community driven project. If folks complain about something then it is either because they want to step up and fill a role or they are hoping someone else will. In my experience, the second way doesn’t usually go very far so it’s good to check the intentions of the person offering suggestions.

Edit: what we need is another Erlend. Short of that, we’re just kind of treading water… which is still better than drowning.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I was clear then, but I’m literally offering to help post on the twitter page on occasion, I’m not asking someone else to do it. And I just listed my few ideas so that my intentions are clear, not to ask someone else to do them. But if I’m not to have access to the account for some reason, then there’s not much else I can do but share the ideas I had and would have done.

3 Likes

Giving admin rights to random people is maybe a bad idea, but i can see the result of giving rights to the last persons that everydoby seemed to know before they disappear. So, what is the difference finally ?
There were several mistakes, the most important is to learn from it. You can’t blindly trust everyone but you cant mistrust everyone neither.

There’s a simple concept in cybersecurity: saving all the datas on an external hardrive. What i mean is, those having the highest responsabilities here (i suppose, the creators of this project ? i dont clearly know who is who yet) should have the passwords of their official pages saved somewhere (and a common email for reset + double authentification).

Now, You need new people for twitter. This problem has to be solved. yaRnMcDonuts is proposing help, how many days he will have to wait for getting the access ?

Then, don’t forget about facebook and youtube, they have to be recovered too.