jME vs Java3D

Can anyone point me to a document or list for me the main reasons to go with jME vs Java3D?

I'm moving our simulation development over to Java and there's a 3D requirement.

Thanks!

hehe  :smiley:

Without being too mean about Java3D the features that jME provides above and beyond what Java3D provides alone should be enough to convince you.  However, if that is not enough the community support that jME has is a major advantage to development.  I've used both Java3D and Xith and my biggest problem I had was getting support early on while learning 3D game development.  If you go to either forum you can still see questions I've posted that went un-answered. :o

Here we always answer questions…even if it's just me making a joke at your expense. :wink:

If you search this or other forums you will find many answers on this question. But eventually it's a matter of taste…

darkfrog said:

... the community support that jME has is a major advantage to development.

Well , I've been over at the xith-forums before a few days, and it seems to me that xith is the only REAL competition for JME.

The forum is quite active now, and there is some progress in development. But they keep changing the API quite fast… and

you have to keep track in the forum what they changed when… and I've got the impression that they don't keep up with the

documentation as fast as they change the engine.

But I think it's worth a look and i will keep an eye on xith for sure.

They are really the only competition to jME but since we are ahead of them in every area (performance, features, community, etc.) I stopped even bothering to see what they're doing these days.  I guess that decision was assisted by the fact I can't stand a couple of their developers though. :wink:

darkfrog said:

They are really the only competition to jME but since we are ahead of them in every area (performance, features, community, etc.) I stopped even bothering to see what they're doing these days.  I guess that decision was assisted by the fact I can't stand a couple of their developers though. ;)

WOAAH!!  :-o That sounds like they were some ..... eehhhhm.. issues in the past.... 

Nah, just some personality conflicts between me and some youngsters. :wink: