jME vs Xith3D

Hello,

I have to decide between the engines Xith3D and jME and I have some questions.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the two engines?

The last release of Xith3D was two days ago, and the last release of jME was one year ago.

Is the jME project still alive? I don't want to waste time on a dead engine.

jME is very much alive.  Most people rely on jME from CVS instead of a "release" since we are so frequently adding new features and typically do a very good job of keeping broken code out of the repository.

I started out with Java3D, moved to Xith, and ended up here because of the great community support, amazing features, and well architected API that jME has.  If you do a feature comparison and performance comparison (search this forum for plenty of both) you'll see that Xith isn't really even a competitor anymore.

How can I access the CVS, over Download Nightly Build? But the last update was on Friday, 04 August 2006.

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=setting_up_eclipse_to_build_jme

ryiden said:

How can I access the CVS, over Download Nightly Build? But the last update was on Friday, 04 August 2006.

The last update was last night....I committed it myself.  :P

You can download the nightly build here:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59&Itemid=71

Or you can get instructions on setting up CVS from here:

https://jme.dev.java.net/source/browse/jme/
darkfrog said:

i.e. You might wanna wait till one of the real developers fixes the build again  ;)  XD
Gentleman Hal said:

darkfrog said:

i.e. You might wanna wait till one of the real developers fixes the build again  ;)  XD

Now you're on my list too!  :P

what kind of mentor are you darkfrog? you can't just threaten your only admirer and apprentice :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm a great mentor…you better agree if you don't like broken bones!  :stuck_out_tongue:

See?  :smiley:

you misunderstood me. you're not my mentor, but hal's :slight_smile:

you made me mad so i think now i'll just play frogger for a while (and loose)  XD

sfera said:

you made me mad so i think now i'll just play frogger for a while (and loose)  XD

I'm going to have to write a new version of frogger where instead of cars they are people and you try to jump onto all of them.
sfera said:

you misunderstood me. you're not _my_ mentor, but hal's :)

:-o  :'(
darkfrog said:

Stop being a twisted freak.  :P

Gentleman Hal said:

I just wanted to be more like you!  :'(

any comment ? :D
sfera said:

Yeah....have you ever been bitch slapped?  ;)
sfera said:

darkfrog said:

Stop being a twisted freak.  :P

Gentleman Hal said:

I just wanted to be more like you!  :'(

You've taken that quote totally out of context!  That's my comment and I'm sticking to it!

it's not out of the context at all. just follow the link.  XD

you can't just say things like that and expect me to forget. i think of you two like of darth frog and darth hal (or pinky and brain)  :lol:

as for you darkfrog… maybe one day we'll meet. then we'll see who's the true master of incoherence and thread hijacking is  }:-@

until then, may the pork be with you!

I will use the jME and Eclipse starter guide, thanks for your help.

we're glad we could help ryiden :wink:

imho the visual guide ist the best.

ryiden, sorry for the thread hijacking btw. :wink:

Gives you a little sneak peak at how much fun we have here though.  :stuck_out_tongue:

sfera said:

it's not out of the context at all. just follow the link.  XD

I don't wanna!

sfera said:

you can't just say things like that and expect me to forget. i think of you two like of darth frog and darth hal (or pinky and brain)  XD

Yes I can! Darth Hal that could work  :lol:

sfera said:

as for you darkfrog... maybe one day we'll meet. then we'll see who's the true master of incoherence and thread hijacking is  }:-@
until then, may the pork be with you!

I think it would be to close to call  :P