jME

Flag Rush Tutorials, in the wiki.

But i don't understand how this works do i use a note pad or something or do i use net beans. iv only made a simple app in net beans before.

I use eclipse

Henri how do i put this in eclips iv never opened it before.

Start with the wiki: It is loaded with useful info

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php

Check this guide to install jME under Eclipse, and probably start by making some simple Java projects there first if possible:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=setting_up_eclipse_to_build_jme

Unfortunately this tutorial is for version 1.0 and the new version is still pending, but it should give you an idea of how to start.

If you have used other IDE’s before for development, it should be relatively easy. If not, then I suggest you start by reading a bit about programming with an IDE first and get use to the interface.

Good luck and welcome

Thanks duenez. I have been looking at the wiki and i'm trying to follow the tutorials but its just not working for me…

From what iv read the hole thing of this compiling the source inside the IDE seems only for the sources, couldn't i just use the .jar file somehow why would they give a binary download if its not usable…

I think this is ridiculous. I don't want o be negative but it shouldn't take me more then the time to download the program to start using it. The wiki is empty and the forums are even more empty. I read the 2 step thing on how to use jME.jar and it dose not work. I try one of the tutorials and it shows me a line of code and how am i so posted to know where to put it its a tutorial. Im just really mad right now this is just ridiculous.

Aright well this is pointless id rather learn java from the ground up and make my own engine myself.

you may think and i quote "Like he can make his own engine!". i cant spell the word engien but i can learn java and make a weak slow pathetic one that's my code and i will be proud of what i made. After i can complete that i will come back and try a second swing at jME till then i will see you later. Peace and i hope i didn't insult anyone.

Hey there slow down! We are all very willing to help you get started. You just need to ask specific questions about where you are getting stuck. We all understand how frustrating it may be when first getting started, but give us real chance here. You won't regret it.

Indeed, I had a nightmare with my first steps in jme, and even tho I still don't know much I'm able to do simple games with ease now, it just requires time to accustom.

In Jme you mostly learn from the examples you have in jme/src directory, or somewhere at their svn.

Where did you stuck at at the moment? Did you manage to get jme to work?

He's better off coming back once he knows Java…jME is simply too much for someone who doesn't even know Java.

I'd say he can try, I only knew basic C and Pascal when I started learning jme.

darkfrog said:

He's better off coming back once he knows Java....jME is simply too much for someone who doesn't even know Java.

Morq said:

I'd say he can try, I only knew basic C and Pascal when I started learning jme.

I concur, for I had no formal experience with a language, except a bit of vb, when i came to jME. I didn't know what a compiler was or even how to construct a proper for statement. I personally think, though i am obviously still a newb, that jME helped me mature programming wise. I mean i was able to go through both years of my high school's Computer Science effortlessly after only starting jME the summer of my first year; and though i've reached a ton of bottlenecks in the past and even two now(physics) I think i was better off learning jME and java at the same time. and though i don't personally like the flagrush tutorial too much it as well as all of the well commented code with an exception of a couple of classes in the repo seriosuly helped me understand the direction I should be moving in...Though I'm still kinda confused of what I should do next in place of my previous issue =p

Even when you're fairly experienced with a language, setup with a new project can sometimes be annoying. For me, I came here knowing java pretty well (formal classes, etc - CS is my field of study and work for goodness sake!), I had some experience with eclipse (nothing on the scope and breadth of a project like jme however), and I struggled with jme setup for only a bit. But compared to some other projects I've looked at, jme actually wasn't that bad, and if you have some experience with eclipse the documentation in the wiki more or less is perfect if you follow it.

I concur with the flagrush tutorial, it isn't the greatest, but it is better than whats out there. The wiki certainly can use a lot more documentation…but that's how open source is.

Aright guys ill give it a second try since i didnt want to drop this ill keep my temper down and be patient.

I got net beans to download the sources for me and i got stuck on the compiling thing i don't know what i did but i got it to start compiling and i got 100 errors(exact number) I did this in eclipse too and i got the same number of errors.

Did you add all the jar and native files, like LWJGL, to your project? They are all the libraries jME needs for graphics, sound, input etc. Until you add them you get a lot of errors.

How to do it is described in the tutorials here (in the eclipse one it’s in the section “Resolving Build Path Issues”).

i'm soposed to add the jar file in my compilation project?

i only added the jar files in my project and i never got it to follow the first line of the tutorials.

THANK YOU!!

Aright so i have no clue what i just did but i followed this http://www.core-dump.ch/stuff/Tutorials/jME/eclipse_setup.htm I finished the whole video without a single error.

Now what would i do now. How would i make my own projects and start working on the tutorials?

Thank you ahead of time.

First try running some of the jmetest examples. They are very good for seeing what jme code looks like and to prove it's working.

In eclipse, package explorer, drop down jme then src.

Scroll down to one of the jmetest packages like jmetest.renderer

Drop that down and pick a java file inside (like TestTeapot.java).

Right click-> Run as -> Java Application

Hopefully it will run.

To create your own code, first make an eclipse project (File Menu-> New -> Java Project).

You should not need to change many settings, just click next.

In the Java settings panel, go to the projects tab, click on Add and add the JME project.

This will allow you to use JME in your code.

Now you can create JME code, like tutorial code in that project (just right click the project, New->Class).

Hopefully someone has a link to a better written wiki entry. But that's the gist of it.

Woohoo thanks the video tutorial told me to  run a file and i saw it work. I started on the flag rush tutorial. and i got part 1 done. It feels like I'm going to be doing a lot of copy and paste for a while. Because the tutorial docent teach me it just shows me.

Well I'm off to play maple story for a bit i have to get my daily leveling in or ill become inactive and bored. Ill start working on it in a bit. Where should i post further questions if i have any problems?

giuseppe105 said:

Woohoo thanks the video tutorial told me to  run a file and i saw it work. I started on the flag rush tutorial. and i got part 1 done. It feels like I'm going to be doing a lot of copy and paste for a while. Because the tutorial docent teach me it just shows me.

Well I'm off to play maple story for a bit i have to get my daily leveling in or ill become inactive and bored. Ill start working on it in a bit. Where should i post further questions if i have any problems?

I think if for each lesson instead of copying over the code from the previous lesson they should extend the previous lesson and super the methods so its easier to read the code and understand whats going on and what the focus is on instead of having one long ongoing code.