JME2 HottBJ/OgreXML Noobie Headaches

This is my first post here, and I’m fully prepared for the bullets sailing my way. I am very new to all of this, but I promise that I have read all of the online documentation, forum-posts, and e-mail lists I can find on this topic. Accordingly, I have developed a deep fear of Blaine Simpson.

I have been attempting to import models with textures into an old driving simulator that was developed in JME2. I had a lot of difficulties with HottBJ. I spent a combined total of about 40 hours working with the code, models, and online help. This culminated in my ability to get a single model imported with a properly rendered texture. However, I have not been able to replicate this success. All subsequent models I have designed in Blender and exported to JME2 with HottBJ have resulted in models that are properly rendered, but that fail to render the textures.

As such, I have been trying to use OgreXML instead.

My current issue is that, when I have added what I believe to be the proper code to import an Ogre XML model into this simulator, the program crashes and throws the following error:

[java]com.jmex.model.ModelFormatException: Input XML file does not have required root element ‘scene’

at com.jmex.model.ogrexml.SceneLoader.load(SceneLoader.java:385)[/java]

When I looked into the SceneLoader class, I found this section of code:

[java]/**

• Adds data from the specified dotScene file onto a scene node (which may
  • then be retrieved with getScene().

• @see #getScene()

*/

public void load(InputStream in) throws IOException, ModelFormatException {

if (scene.getName() == null) {

scene.setName(“OgreScene”);

// Apply default name if nothing more specific applied up to this

// point.

}

try {

DocumentBuilder builder = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance().newDocumentBuilder();

Document doc = builder.parse(in);

Element rootEl = doc.getDocumentElement();

if (rootEl == null) {

throw new ModelFormatException(

“No root node in XML document, when trying to read '”
  • “scene’”);

}

if (!rootEl.getTagName().equals(“scene”)) {

throw new ModelFormatException(

“Input XML file does not have required root element '”
  • “scene’”);

}

load(rootEl);

scene.updateGeometricState(0, true);

scene.updateRenderState();

} catch (ParserConfigurationException ex) {

throw new IOException(“Error configuring parser”);

} catch (SAXException ex) {

throw new IOException(“Error with xml parser”);

}

}[/java]

Based on this discovery, I assume that I have some sort of problem related to my dotScene file (obvious?).

My question is this: is this because I have failed to specify the proper location of the dotScene file, or is it because I have made a mistake in arranging the settings when exporting the dotScene file from Blender?

Thank you for looking at all of this, if any of you have done so. I’m dedicated to getting this right, but I could really use some help.