jME2 or jME3 - What version are you using right now and the next time?

Just out of curiosity I'm quite interested in what version you (the users)

are using right now and additional it would be nice to say for what kind of

project and where you see your future…

Somehow I get the feeling it is getting more silent in the forum!? Hope I

didn't scare too much away :smiley:

And just to answer my own question (to the cost of a double post):

First of all I started with jME2 1.5 years ago (even I’m interested in it

for even longer). Just found my very first post of my blog that I started

more or less simultaneously with using jME2. Since then I started much but

finished nothing countable. Still best thing was a mini platformer made during a 48h-compo.

So that is my problem! Actually I want to switch to jME3 but can’t

until I didn’t say ‘good bye’ to jME2 with just a big clash :smiley: (It is

something like a strange feeling of loyality… wired,I know)

Right now, I’m working on a little casual game and hope to finish this somehow the next time.

A real graphical shocker :smiley: We’ll see.

I've just started to learn how to use jME; Erlend introduced me to it when he joined the team, but at the time, my knowledge of Java wasn't strong enough. Since then, I've had two years at university where I've become much stronger with Java.

Seeing as I'm just starting out, I jumped straight in with jME3 as it seemed silly not to learn what will be the future of jME.

I like to think that its silent in the forum because everybody is learning jme3? :slight_smile:

normen said:

I like to think that its silent in the forum because everybody is learning jme3? :)
Exactly. And support & doc giants such as the two present here have done such a good job answering questions and making guides that there's now more searching going on than posting ;)

Makes for fewer shiny monkeys to brighten up a forum addict's day, but ain't it just so darn worth it!?

well I cant switch for what I'm doing now, put alot of thought and effort into the animation stuff in my present project and not keen to rethink it all, just yet, at atleast for now, rather finish building my test concept and apply it to the next project, all the resources I have gathered, have allowed me to acheive one objective or another over the past few months, and code design is finally…finally startin to stick in my "business/accounting oriented brain" so in a weird way jme3 will be a step back for me…hopefully I'll finally be done with hkshooter in the next three or so months

pretty much I want to have a playable "this is how I achieved that in jme2, what's the best approach in jme3 "sort of" visual aid

I use Jme3 and like it much better than jme2

I started with jme2 (when?  :smiley: i dont know may be 6 months or 1 year ago ?)

I tried it once but it didnt work with svn then I gave up. After some months searching for another engine i end up with jme2 again. lost some months to install and getting used to it (collision, ogre animation, rotation and so on)

then come jme3, i lost only about 1 month or less to get used to it (thanks for experience i got from jme2 and nice tuts from zathras ^^ )

now I'm trying to make a fighting game like street fighter or tekken.

so I learn Jme3 while thinking on it. and I got a lot of questions too.

if the forum is so silent that we can hear the sound of silence, then should I make it noisy with my questions?  :smiley:

making forums noisy is my specialty }:-@

I'm still using jME2 since January 2009…  It works very well for what we're working on and I've written more silly little utility classes (that are probably built in somewhere in the engine!) than I care to count…

I've got a few small jME3 tests around though and like what I see :slight_smile:

xieu90 said:

if the forum is so silent that we can hear the sound of silence, then should I make it noisy with my questions?  :D

The only way to activate the banhammer is to give it a nice big target ;)

I am using JME2 too.

Mainly because I started using it about a year ago, and because my project (which I started in August 2009) is based on it. Currently it provides me with all I need, so no changing to JME3 (that would bring loooots of work… :/). :slight_smile:

sbook said:

xieu90 said:

if the forum is so silent that we can hear the sound of silence, then should I make it noisy with my questions?  :D

The only way to activate the banhammer is to give it a nice big target ;)

poor me, I thought I should give the forum a bit of my fire (to make it livelier)
but it looks like wanna-be active member isnt welcomed
I overestimated my ability like that kid ^^
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/587/13/

I am a C/C++ game programmer; completely new to jme and Java itself until a few days ago. I've jumped straight into jme3 and I love it! It's taken me 2 days of reading docs and source code to learn Java, the basics of jme3 and write a Pong clone with it.

Fantastic engine, I'm sold! Will be using it for an indie game I'm currently designing. Eagerly awaiting further releases (especially for a paged terrain system). If I get time I would like to contribute in getting the engine to a stable release.

Keep up the great work,

Chris.

Hi all,

I am a Java/C++/C# developer, developing "network code" for lack of a better term, in my day job. 

I found jME2 a while back, and went right to jME3 when it was released.  It seems very straight forward so far.

The hard part, I am finding, is modeling and figuring out Blender, so I can import stuff into the engine.

But I won't worry too much, thankfully I am a homebrewer as well…

Nice to see that people c++ people using jME! I met some "professionals" just looking

down on java. Hmm,…but actually we have to stand this until we really proved the real

capability of java, right!?!! :smiley: "Go JAVA,GO" :smiley:

currently I'm using jme2 for a l2jserver open source client project, because I started with it and currently am having no real comparison of what is present, what not (I know there's a list but that didn't looked detailed enough). Not sure if swing guis are possible in jme3, etc. so currently I'll stick with jme2…

We're using jME2 as jME3 has shader based materials and we want our game to work with non-shader cards as well and as far as I know there's no way in jME3 to turn off the shaders for materials.

Also, I'm not sure if GameStates have been added to jME3 yet?

We rely on those for structure (although we could make them ourselves if we switched to jME3 though).

Anyway, jME2 is fully sufficient for what we need at the moment, so we don't see anything to gain from switching.

It would be nice to get rid of the updateRenderState in jME2 though.

If I decide to use a game engine for future Android games, I'll look into using jME3 for that.

Using jME 2 here, haven't had a chance to look at 3 yet. I started my project out with jME 1.0, and porting to 2.0 was only mildly painful.

How difficult will it be to port from jME 2 to 3?

-Prime

Prime said:

How difficult will it be to port from jME 2 to 3?

Depends on your software but it will be more difficult than jme1->jme2. But you will probably need much less code ;)

I am using JME2 currently for my project, but I would love to port it to JME3 to take advantage of shaders and shadows working together (as this is near impossible in JME2)

I am just waiting for all the functionality I am taking advantage of in JME2 to be found in JME3

These might have changed but I took a look at JME3 when the first alpha was downloadable

Simply GL_Points and networking…

Im using JME2, but after i installed the JmonkeyPlatform and saw the demos, im thinking to redo everything in jme3… JME3's code is less than JME2.  :smiley:

I am just about to get started myself, but I can't decide if I am gonna go for jME2 or jME3 :frowning:

Any pointers that can help me make my choice ?