JME3 - Can't do anything :(

Hi guys,

So I am taking the plunge into JME3 and intend to use the Spider Monkey API to network a small JME3 game.

I’m starting small but am immediately finding myself in deep water, here are my problems;

1 I am trying to use the hello assets tutorial to load a model. However I am unable to start the program. I have added the jme3testdata.jar but still get a message that the memory could not be “read”. I can’t understand what I am doing wrong. Do I need to drag stuff into the Project Assets folder?

2 I would like to be able to use my own model that I have made in blender. The model is not complex but I thought it would be a good next step to see that I am able to export models from blender and have them in my game. I have no clue how to approach this. What tools do I need? How do I do this? (I cannot see an OGRE exporter in the export menu)

3 I would like to make a small application where I can have 2 players each controlling a model and have their movements updated on the other computer. I was planning on using a third computer to act as a server that they would both communicate through but I have no idea where to start with Spider Monkey. Could someone please give me some direction?

Some of these are probably trivial but I’m so confused at the moment lol.

Many Thanks

Ahh I used mesh.xml and everything now seems fine, no errors or the like (I knew it would be something simple). My JDK was at the latest.

Thanks.

With respect the the Application Error, what types of problems is it indicative of? Should I investigate it? Because now that everything seems fine I am happy to persist onwards until my next silly oversight.

Hey there Neilos:) I’m afraid I can only help you with question 3, since I’m the author of SpiderMonkey :wink: You can find tutorials on how to get started with SpiderMonkey here. Those tutorials can definitely help you as for question 3 :slight_smile:

If you get "memory read error"s, you probably have more severe problems. Is your graphics card compatible to OpenGL2 and do you have the latest drivers installed? Please post the complete error output.

As for converting models, you can find information on that in the jMonkeyPlatform documentation, available via F1 in jMP or via the Documentation item in the menu of this site.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

@Lars, thanks I had looked at that page but hadn’t realised that the links led to tutorials, I thought it was just links to the headers below, I’ll be sure to make my way through them now.

@normen, I have a Sapphire ati Radeon HD 5770 with the latest drivers. The error I get is not an error in the output console of the JMP it is a window that pops up, the error reads

java.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x07818f8c" referenced memory at "0x0790be20". The memory could not be "read".

Click OK to terminate the program

I can view the JME3 Examples where it loads models ok, for example TestOgreLoading.java so I'm hoping it is just a simple thing that I am doing wrong.

This is what is shown in the console;

WARNING: Cannot locate resource: Models/Ninja/Ninja.meshxml
19-Sep-2010 22:09:41 com.jme3.app.Application handleError
SEVERE: Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,main]
java.lang.NullPointerException
at mygame.Main.simpleInitApp(Main.java:49)
at com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication.initialize(SimpleApplication.java:155)
at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.initInThread(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:102)
at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:147)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Java Result: -1073741819
BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 7 seconds)

So where is the ninja?

In my project I have Project Assets, Source Packages and Libraries. Under Libraries I have a jar listed as jme3-test-data - jme3testdata.jar. I thought that was it?

It's gotta just be something simple but my brain is malfunctioning at the moment.

Ninja is now properly called mesh.xml I think. About the other error, without a stacktrace or something its not very helpful and as said points to other problems. Did you try updating your JDK?

I need more error output to say whats wrong. Try starting from the command line to see more info. All I know is its not on the java level but either in the JVM or in LWJGL.