jME3 Crashes/Hangs when using Vorbis-format files

Hello everyone.

For the past few days I have been playing around with jme3 and I am extatic! So much java gaming creativity at my fingertips! The library seems to be amazing!

I do have one question though. Regarding the use of Vorbis-format files. I can not even get the simplest example (HelloAudio) to run without crashing (and not making any sound prior to crash/hang) when I use ogg-format files.

The setup is a more or less vanilla install of W7x64 on 12GB RAM using the built-in soundcard on the gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r. If I go with a wav-format, all things work just perfectly.

If there is any insight as to why this might be I would be very interested and grateful to read about it.

Thank you for all your hard work so far!

ogg format works well for me

if I remember well hello audio didnt work for me.

you should try TestOgg.java from nightlybuild/source/jme3test/audio

it worked for me

Thank you xieu90!

I will check this out. However, I am still interested in knowing why HelloAudio is not working and what could be done to make it work. If nothing else, since it is a starter-project I think itā€™s important that it works with little or no adjustment from the beginner developer.

uhm,

I dont really know or remember what the problem was.

I think there might be some changes in code of jme3 after helloaudio was written and it leads to some parameter missing in hello audio. (that is my guess)

[java]

audio_gun = new AudioNode(assetManager, "Sound/Effects/Gun.wav"); <ā€” hello audio

src = new AudioNode(audioRenderer, assetManager, "Sound/Effects/Foot steps.ogg", true); ā† testOgg

[/java]

as you can see the different between them is testogg has audiorenderer the other one doesnt have it.

I am not a member of core developers so all what I said is 0% sure ā†’ I dont dare to rewritten wiki ā†’ dont believe what I say 100% ^^

1 Like

A crash always yields some stack trace, using that you can follow the problem. In this case you probably get a NullPointerException since the audioRenderer variable is nullā€¦ And yeah, there were changes in the API lately.

1 Like

This is wonderful. The response time of this community is impressive.

Thank you xieu90 and normen! +1ā€™s

I had a problem (several months ago), where if i saved an .ogg in 22kHz mono, jme just wouldnā€™t load. No stack, or crash, it just sat there. Donā€™t know if itā€™s related since HelloAudio doesnā€™t work, but if it sound familiar, save the files differently.

@rickard: Yes. This is exactly the problem. There is no indication in the log, the application just stops responding. Itā€™s not a seg-fault or crash in that senseā€¦ seems more like a bad loop situation whilst reading the format (but since I really have no ideaā€¦ I wouldnt take my word for it).

My files are saved in 44kHz 16bit mono.

Could you provide the problematic .ogg file?