JME3 Documentation and Tutorials

In order to ease the flow from jME2 to jME3 and also to attract new people to its use, it would be quite helpful to have tutorials and extensive documentation released simultaneously with (or relatively close behind) the new engine.  As JME2 documentation for new users took quite awhile to come together, I would not wish to see a similar delay for JME3.  This only inhibits the engine's growth as other, more extensively documented engines, are chosen in favor of their shorter learning curves.  I think JME could become a much more popular engine if we cater to new users and programmers less knowledgeable in the science of 3D graphics and gaming engines. 

Here’s a start for ya, courtesy of Ruth “Zathras” :slight_smile: Glad to see people care enough to voice their concerns. Rest assured we got our priorities straight as you can see the documentation has already begun. More of these preliminary docs will surface in the days to come. At this time it will all be fairly general though, seeing as jME 3.0 still isn’t ‘feature complete’ (alpha 1-2), ‘feature frozen’ (beta) or ‘stable’ (release candidate) quite yet. By the time we reach beta the documentation initiative will kick into high gear.

I must say that what I have read about JME3 has me very excited.  I agree that there needs to be a focus on documentation geared to new users, and I include myself in this category, so that we can get up to speed faster.  Right now what is out there is scattered about and is a bit difficult to make sense of.

Note:  I consider myself to be new not because I haven't used JME before, but because I haven't actively worked on it for over a year.  I will try to document what I go through and see if I can help out, time permitting (family first!)

Dana

danab said:
Note:  I consider myself to be new not because I haven't used JME before, but because I haven't actively worked on it for over a year.  I will try to document what I go through and see if I can help out, time permitting (family first!)
That is fantastic news :) Zathras has an extensive personal agenda set up for herself, and streamlined jME3 docs is definitely a part of that. Any way you can help just get in touch with us directly, start a discussion on the forum or just do first, ask later :P

I tired running the "ant jar" and it is missing a definition for

libs.swing-layout.classpath=lib/swingext/swing-layout-1.0.3.jar

Thanks,

-Greg