JME3 GDE svn

Hi.

I am currently starting to write the JME3 "Game Development Environment" based on NetBeans 6.8

Since I want the GDE to be able to update itself automatically, I want to use the svn as an "update center" as well, which would require packed versions of all modules and libraries residing in the svn. Although the GDE should be a central part of jme3 in the end, I think I should start the GDE in a different GoogleCode project to avoid bloating the jme-svn too much with it, what do you think?

Cheers,

Normen

svn are sucky anyway wont matter, also  it would be nice to see your progress and we can help better if its in the main svn

sbook said:

It may make sense to consider other options for update packages... There are other options like running a Hudson job to build releases (nightly or at release time) and have that available on the website.

Yes, I am sure we could find other options for the updates, maybe even a folder on www.jmonkeyengine.com or something.. The thing is that there needs to be the possibility of creating a folder structure so the downloads section of GoogleCode is not an option.
OK, so I'll put the first upload of jme3-gde in a branch in the current svn..

What about having a own svn server? I mean it's just a double click and configuring a config. (And yes, I have a sv running for my own projcts to have kinda a backup system to the weekly backups)

That's certainly an option, but I think it would make sense to keep ourselves fairly close together in terms of SVN providers.  For example, we'd need to set up yet another set of usernames and passwords when weve already got that with Google.  I think if we were to go for a switch then we'd be best suited to do a full migration for all of our stuff.  This had been brought up and discussed a few months back with the consensus that GCode was serving its purpose fine.  That, of course, is subject to change if we start hitting space limits though

Yeah, I also have a root server with svn etc. but I too think that another login is a no-go. Either a googlecode project or the current svn.

Oh, well I assumed that jmonkeyengine.com is running on a root server in wich case instaling a svn there would be the easyest possibility, in no way i want to split jme3 projects up over several different servers (as it sucks as we can see with jme2)

google code provides a lot more then just svn, like email notification, bug tracking, rss feeds etc.

never change a running system …

Core-Dump said:

google code provides a lot more then just svn, like email notification, bug tracking, rss feeds etc.
never change a running system ....

Out of curiosity, have you used the RSS feeds for SVN?  It seems like it works well on some days, is late on others, and totally misses commits in other cases.  Very odd, but the other functionality is very nice :)
sbook said:

Out of curiosity, have you used the RSS feeds for SVN?  It seems like it works well on some days, is late on others, and totally misses commits in other cases.  Very odd, but the other functionality is very nice :)

Could that be your RSS reader? For me it seems to work most of the time..

I use the reader in Apple mail on my laptop and seem to change my Windows reader every week because I'm never satisfied  }:-@

Why not just wait a month or two until oracle adds the kenai backend to java.net and move there? You will then have all the real time chat and bug tracking inside netbeans that kenai has now! This would really spead development in the team setting! As of right now java.net has aready seen its speed much inproved improved, so I can only speculate that some of the integration has already taken place. If you look closely you can also notice that the theme is slightly different, but, simillar.

realbadapple said:

Why not just wait a month or two until oracle adds the kenai backend to java.net and move there?

Well, you can have the googlecode bugtracker in Netbeans using Cubeon already if you want to. I think googlecode is a good solution for jme since not everybody using/improving it is using Netbeans.. I know Kenai is also just a normal OSS-site, but its strengths are in Netbeans integration..

Nope not everybody uses Netbeans, ^^ I use eclipse, since I use it for work anyways.

What I wonder more about is the bugtracker really used? At least from a look at the forums most bugs are found due to contributions and help me threads.

Empire Phoenix said:

Nope not everybody uses Netbeans, ^^ I use eclipse, since I use it for work anyways.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a Mylyn connector for the Google Code bug tracker, I can't speak to its quality though, as I'm already linked to high heaven into my own pair of bugzillas.

Empire Phoenix said:

What I wonder more about is the bugtracker really used? At least from a look at the forums most bugs are found due to contributions and help me threads.

Momoko actively uses it for jME3 and every now and then someone will post a bug, or post a bug and a forum thread

On the topic of choosing a provider, adding this project to our googlecode base is very advantageous publicly speaking, e.g. showing increased activity on Ohloh.

Being experimental, but also of significant value and officially supported, I think it's very helpful for a project like this to start its early days in the main repo, where it will gain maximum exposure. Then if and when it grows big enough to stand on its own, that's just what it'll do, but that's then.

Well, you can have the googlecode bugtracker in Netbeans using Cubeon already if you want to. I think googlecode is a good solution for jme since not everybody using/improving it is using Netbeans.. I know Kenai is also just a normal OSS-site, but its strengths are in Netbeans integration..

Kenai.com, the domain, will be shut down by oracle and all projects, if they choose not to move, will be moved to java.net, because java.net is being reworked to have the kenai infrustructure as its back end so you will get all the netbeans integration anyway. Java.net is an oss site too, as well as allowing other none oss licences. Java.net also has support for maven repositories and netbeans update sites!
realbadapple said:

Kenai.com, the domain, will be shut down by oracle and all projects, if they choose not to move, will be moved to java.net, because java.net is being reworked to have the kenai infrustructure as its back end so you will get all the netbeans integration anyway. Java.net is an oss site too, as well as allowing other none oss licences. Java.net also has support for maven repositories and netbeans update sites!

Since java.net gets the functionality from kenai.com you can just substitute "kenai.com" with "java.net" there ;)
Did not understand kenai in the first place, they had java.net all the time.. oO Thanks oracle!
normen said:

Did not understand kenai in the first place, they had java.net all the time.. oO Thanks oracle!

Especially considering the only good I ever heard about it was the features which are useless when the other thing I always heard about it was poor reliability :O