JME3 Terrain system

I noticed the nightly svn gave me the terrain classes. All I can say is…

WAHOO!

THANKS GUYS!

but, I noticed the documentation isn’t finished here: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:terrain

I know it’s kinda selfish to ask for you guys to do more, but when will the documentation for terrain be finished? Can you finish it please? Thanks! I’ll be fiddling around with the new stuff until then.

Ben out.

hunterbdb said:
I noticed the documentation isn't finished here: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:terrain

I know it's kinda selfish to ask for you guys to do more, but when will the documentation for terrain be finished? Can you finish it please? Thanks! I'll be fiddling around with the new stuff until then.

I finished it on my other computer but forgot to upload it, got distracted with other tasks :/ I will try and remember what I wrote and add it this weekend. I also have a blog post ready and that is there too. =,(
I can't get to the other computer for another couple of days, but I will see what I can do.

There is also going to be a Hello Terrain tutorial, but I haven't started that yet.

i managed to use physics, with the terrain’s mesh, previously i was getting index out of bound exception cus of the converter, it was multiplying wrong the triangle count. ^^

Works pretty smooth at a block size of 64 and size 1024. (The higher the lagier ><)

Hope that will get sorted out.

Cheers!

Setekh said:
... i was getting index out of bound exception cus of the converter, it was multiplying wrong the triangle count. ...

What converter are you talking about?
Sploreg said:
What converter are you talking about?

com.jme3.bullet.util. Converter
Line 166

(Edited, wrong line number)

so, any updates? xD

Setekh said:
so, any updates? xD

For what? You did not post any fix or anything for the converter.
normen said:
For what? You did not post any fix or anything for the converter.

Well my "fix", its kind of a cheat :P

int verticesLength = mesh.getVertexCount();// * 3;
original code was -> int indicesLength = mesh.getTriangleCount() * 3;

Well thats not correct. It will result in all other meshes being calculated wrong for the physics. Btw, you can have a look at the latest updates very easily here.

normen said:
Well thats not correct. It will result in all other meshes being calculated wrong for the physics.

Yeah i know.. but still with out it i get a index out of bounds exception.Also with that little cheat i fall off in some parts at grater heights.

Since the converter expects closed triangle meshes, maybe you could try setting the LOD so low that you always get the full mesh. As you see when turning on the mesh view of the terrain, the LOD creates some vertexes that do not belong to triangles. Without these I guess you should get no exception.

Hi Setekh,

I should have responded sooner, but yes I am working on a converter for the terrain and it is almost done. Should be in the source code by tonight.

The issues is the LOD in the terrain, and the fact that it uses triangle strips and that causes a few degenerates in the mesh (which are fine, but odd for colision).

Further work will have to be done to handle the sheer number of collision polygons. For a 512x512 terrain piece it blew through my memory fast, so I had to bump that up. That and it takes a long time to load.

So the first change I will update won’t be the final solution, there will have to be some other work after to make it act like the LOD algorithm for the actual terrain polygons.

There will be a test case called TerrainTestCollision.java

I will post again when it is ready.

cheers

Thanks guys,

Im still learning about jme and going through your’s code lines, trying to make sense of how this game engine works. I cannot wait to see your work Brent and also contribute to this awesome project.

With respect, Seth.

Setekh:

I just committed TerrainTestCollision.java. Check it out.

Thank you Santa, updating ~

Later edit: You sir, made my day! xD

It loads fast it acts as it should and damn I’m so excited!

No words, didn’t expect it to arrive this fast.

Jme FTW!

Remember to post a new thread in the TerraMonkey forum next time you have a bug/feature report :wink: This thread is becoming dangerously saturated ^^