JME3 to Max/Maya for MaxWell rendering, ideas?

Hey all,

So I am looking to export my JME scene into a format to be read by 3D Studio Max, Maya, or any other 3D application that supports Maxwell Render.

So far I can’t find a way to do that with any of the built in functionality, so I am considering writing a COLLADA exporter. However, before I invest the time, if anyone knows another way and wouldn’t mind sharing, that would be great :slight_smile:

uh, why? anyway if you attempt this you should just try to find the format the supports the parameters you are interested in best. simple meshes can be created in any format I guess, it gets more complicated with stuff thats done by shaders, extended metadata etc. even collada works differently in different software so when you look to export to “any” application look for the most stable import format for your purposes.

I require it for high end rendering of the scenes being dynamically created in JME. I believe it’s easier to use an existing high-end offline rendering engine and write my own exporter than to write my own rendering for JME.

In reality I will focus directly on the format I am looking for, but I left my question theoretically open in-case anyone has a method for some 3D application I may not have mentioned or known about

I completely don’t understand why you would want to create your content in an engine geared towards live opengl rendering and then export it to a static rendering engine?? Why don’t you implement the code that creates whatever you create in jME right now in the scripting language for one of the applications you mentioned?

Because I would like easy user interactivity and code flexibility (networks, databases, portability) and the majority of the program is real time interaction.

The high end rendering stuff is merely a button, like “Want to see this rendered out high-end? Click here!”

Writing a plugin or a script for Max, Maya, etc will not provide the functionality I require

okay… well maybe you should still aim at using the framework of one application for data transfer (maybe via network? – depends on what the engine supports) because in the end you will want to have at least some control on the other side I guess, like updating the data from the file when it changed as the simplest example.

One thing I can recommend is Sunflow:

http://sunflow.sourceforge.net/

Its a Java photorealistic raytracer, in the past users were able to get it to work with jME by transferring the models and materials from jME classes to sunflow classes.

Thanks guys, I’m investigating some possibilities, SunFlow being one of them.

I’ll post back here when I’ve got my solution