Jmeplanet

Posted a new video and update above.

OOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!
i can say only WOW!

How did you make camera movement? With physics?

@mifth
Yes, the camera has a physics control attached to it and I use that to control the movement for free flight. For walking I’m using normen’s BetterCharacterControl physics control.

1 Like

Very nice and impressive. I want two cups of this every morning !

@aaronperkins said: Well unless jme happens to support logarithmic depth buffer as a core feature... ;-)
It might in fact be that integrating this will be easier relatively soon.. The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there's emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

\o/ Jaime on the moon!!!
That’s excellent work!

1 Like

Wow.

Some of the LOD transitions were a bit abrupt but other than that it was flawless!

Suddenly I want to make a space game. :o

AWESOME!!!
It is really cool to see, that this project grow. Thx aaronperkins for this!
But one i have one question about this: Is it possible to transform the surface in real time? Like digging the ground? If yes, can you post a little example for this? Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Edit:
Have tryed to use the new jmeplanet version at my laptop, but there are some problems: the bettercharactercontrol is not integrated yet and habe some other issues:

PlanetAppState cant found:
import com.jme3.shadow.CompareMode;
import com.jme3.shadow.DirectionalLightShadowRenderer;
import com.jme3.shadow.EdgeFilteringMode;

SpaceMonkey cant found:
import com.jme3.bullet.control.BetterCharacterControl;

have looked to the plugin tool and can’t found any new update for my ide and there is no bettercharactercontrol plugin yet. Any easy way to get this to work?

@miroslaw.michna
You have the use JME3 nighties to compile jmeplanet. Sorry forgot to mention that. As far as modifying the landscape, it’s feasible but there isn’t a way right now to do it.

hi aaronperkins,
thanks for your answer. I love your project really, but i need a way to transform the surface by the user in real-time. Hope this feature will be added sometimes :wink:
Will follow this thread from now on. Big respect to you for this great work!

@aaronperkins
My computer does not like your shaders. To be OpenGL 2.0 one cannot mix float and integers in statements (I know it is silly, but that is how it is). Anyway your lib is fantastic and I can probably patch the shaders to make them work for me =)

ALLVARLIG: Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,main]
com.jme3.renderer.RendererException: compile error in:ShaderSource[name=LogDepthBuffer/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.frag, defines, type=Fragment, language=GLSL100] error:ERROR: 0:15: '+' does not operate on 'float' and 'int'
ERROR: 0:15: '+' does not operate on 'float' and 'int'
ERROR: 0:20: '+' does not operate on 'float' and 'int'

This is mostly caused due to things like “myFloatVar + 1”, make that “myFloatVar + 1.0” Some windows drivers are too permissive there, apples OpenGL stack usually is a good test for such general syntax issues :wink:
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there’s emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

Yeah, @normen is right. Just cast to float. Like at the example above: “myFloatVar + (float)myIntegerVar″

@kwando

I cleaned up the shaders as normen suggested. Give it a try now.

Thanks

@miroslaw.michna
Let me make sure I understand your use case. How much deformation are you trying to accomplish? The terrain is heightmap based so there will never be caves or overhangs like minecraft. Basically it will be limited to raising and lowering the terrain exactly like the jme stock terrain system works.

@normen said: It might in fact be that integrating this will be easier relatively soon..

Care to elaborate on this a little? Supporting logarithmic depth buffers as a core feature would be amazing!

@aaronperkins said: Care to elaborate on this a little? Supporting logarithmic depth buffers as a core feature would be amazing!
This aren't the droids you're looking for
@aaronperkins said:

UPDATE
2/23/2012
New video of physics and shadow integration. Added Jaime walking across the surface by popular demand. :wink:
I also removed the logarithmic depth buffer for now and switched to a dual viewport scheme. this allows me to utilize stock jme3 materials and filters.

UPDATE:
1/27/2013
Added physics integration! Going to fast will end in clipping through the terrain but otherwise you can now travel along the surface of the planet.

Ok. 2 things.

1. Holy smokes this is looking good!
  2. I just started playing a game called Kerbal Space Program. If you haven’t checked it out you may want to give it a whirl. What you’ve got going here seems like an awesome start to something similar.

Anyways good job!

@nehon said: This aren't the droids you're looking for

I’m so hoping this is about what I’m thinking it is about =)

Pleeeaaassse ! Explain us what we are not thinking about !

That’s too difficult waiting… with a little nothing to grind !