Editor: jMonkeyBuilder

Yeah I definitely was at the first time, I thought SS?! Wtf :smile:

Though it does have quite a few obvious logo opportunitiesā€¦

4 Likes

I think I need to avoid using the short version of the name :wink: SpaceShift Editor sounds good :slight_smile:

Nazis kill 1/3 population of my countryā€¦

Yeah but itā€™s not only you, people tend to do this anyway. Also itā€™s been referenced a lot of times as it on the forum and changing the name with a big announcement would give it a new fresh start. You could even propose a list of names and make a survey so that the community members could give their opinion. Of course you would have the final word.

Also it seems that the editor got past the scope of Space Shift, didnā€™t it?

1 Like

They did a lot of bad things in many countries, including their own, so let not a JME editor name remind everyone of it.

1 Like

yep, I started this project as a tool to help with developing my game, but then I decided to stop working on my game and to focus on developing an user friendly tool for this engine because I want to see more games based on Java, because I very like java and java platform :slight_smile:
so I believe that the Editor will be an official 3D editor for this engine in future, so I can rename this project if this community wants it. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You can call it something like ā€œJamoā€ JAvaMOnkey. You can build several interesting abbreviation-anagrams using Java and monkey
Like this:
Jamo editor
Jakey editor (not sure if this appropriate xd )
Mova editor
or so.

Or go with something entirely newā€¦like If you want to refer to the background, you can call it Nova engine

SabrEditor :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Editing material parameters inside nodes:

2 Likes

I am from Austria - so SS, even when I know it means Space-Shift always leaves a bad taste in my mouthā€¦ Anyways, keep up the good work!

@nehon I think maybe can we create a thread about to choose a new name for this project? Also, where do we do it better on this forum?

More editing controls for matrial parameter nodes:

2 Likes

go ahead yeah. In user code & project

All editable material parameter nodes:

2 Likes

@NemesisMate I think this option to edit material parameters is user friendly :slight_smile:

I disagree, when you have a fucking big graph with 250 nodes itā€™s really nice to have all of your parameters concentrated in one list at the same place rather than trying to follow lines to find the right param node (and i know what iā€™m talking about, iā€™ve worked with unreal engine 4 for 1 year and even if you structure you graph well, it always have a moment where it becomes fucked up)

Iā€™m not saying current approach is not nice, both of them have pros ans cons.
And it could be cool to have the other one in some cases :wink:

From a purely user-friendly perspective, I think it would be nice if there was a rollup of material parameters where you could edit themā€¦ but also be able to edit them where they are referenced.

Having never used the tool or really looked at its UI, I donā€™t know if thatā€™s sensible or easy/hard. But from a purely human factors perspective, thatā€™s the nicest.

Hmmm I seem to be running into a conundrum with the GLTF importer, when I try to import with the following model:

The editor seems to be stuck on the stuck on the loading screen, though no errors seem to pop up. I let it run for a couple minutes to see if all goes well, and still donā€™t get anything.

As we decussed earlier: there will be ergonomics for big graphs. We came up with ideas of clusters or groups. Main idea - combine blocks of nodes to single node solution with user chosen parametres.

If you know substance or blender, you know what I am talking about (every node of substance is a group of nodes and that group is also a group, and so on until we hit real math nodes on backgroundā€¦blender just have groups)

To be honest blender solution is sooo artiists frendly. I hope to see something like blender mixedup with substance and ue4ā€¦with blender ā€œslides on every graphā€ ā€œnot hidden buttonsā€ and "single node sulutions (like geometry node, where we have easy acces to any geomety information, as uv and normal, or world position) " and substace ability to extend any parameter and ue4 power