JMonkey october 2016 share experience please

Something to add to the OT PBR discuss:

IMHO PBR is a totally overused term. The only good thing about it is that it has created some sort of a standard pipeline for assets. It really is just a formula, and the main difference is that it is energy conserving.
The big thing is global illumination, and nehon did a great job in that direction. Even phong would look pretty good if you add some global illumination…

1 Like

I did this a few years ago to practice modelling + the blender to jME pipeline. It uses no lighting , so phong vs pbr debate is mute, no shadows and nothing baked out ( lighting, ao, normal maps … that would be cheating).

Thought it might be interesting to include in this current conversation.

1 Like

I kept waiting for them to fight… disappointed. :slight_smile:

To paraphrase so many imgur threads:
Step 1: be talented

Step 2: Be talented

Step 3: You think that’s air you’re breathing?

1 Like

I keep reading tutorials this days too, watching videos and e.g. Learn is smth we can’t avoid while developing game, it is how it should be. But someone of us thinks solving SDK’s entire problems or any other tool’s problems is just ok too. Rarely it is, but most of time it is NOT! When u switch from making game (while learning engine) to solving many stomping bugs it is bad for developing process and annoying. Don’t u agree?
I saw ur project, looks like u invested much time to making assets, cause models looks greate. Spoxel look cool too to be honest, have it’s own style :slight_smile:
Seems now not many ppl using SDK for real full developing cycle. It matters much to me. Thx for responces guys.

P.S.: Have to try to be talented :slight_smile:, but i beleive i am not, i am just typical newb game developer :confounded:

@zzuegg as i can see maybe this fuature is what differs most popular engines from jme. Maybe PBR gives unexpirienced developers opportunity to not think much about scene creations, it still looks nice. Is this what r u talking about, right?

No, even with pbr you need good assets, and make use of the image based lighting. The upside os that nehon did lot of the tricky work for you.