jMonkeyEngine 3.1 Alpha 2 released!

It’s not, but totally new to me. My world is normally: bash, vim, Makefile.am even at work. I know nearly be mind what to use where as I do it all day long. That I end up using this engine is some kind of a miracle :smiley: never thought I will touch Java. But now I really start to enjoy. So fare the SDK hold away much of that kind of “put that jar there and there”, just start a BasicGame and 99% of the work was done. ES was just a special part I wanted and in the beginning I wondered why this is not available somehow in this SDK. That was just an other hurdle. But yes you know hurdles are there to take them, not to avoid them. I just needed some pointers and best practice.

Just that all of you know it: If I would start looking for a game engine now, I guess that “core only” would scare me away. But luckily I come across this really really amazing engine earlier :wink: And I start to love Java and all this stuff, it really opened a big new world which is word exploring. And I see as well that Java can be used to write applications where performance matters! Before I played with Polycode, but there the examples where not copy past aware, or not all of them and lacked a lot of stuff.

I may come up with more stupid not-that-java-aware questions maybe. So just adding those JARs seems the way to go and not the wrong way then. Fine. And there are discussions around making that BasicGame generator with some scripts/tools/js, so maybe I have then both worlds the old (bash, vim) and new (Java, SDK) :smile:

I guess most folks use one of the three popular Java IDEs to develop Java (Netbeans, Eclipse, IntelliJ)… which will all work with gradle builds.

I’m more oldschool/hardcore. I already know the language and so just use a programmers editor and the command line… I’ve been coding in some way or another for more than 30 years, though.

I used to keep the SDK open to build projects… but for my multi-project builds, with 30+ projects open, the SDK was an ugly beast that constantly locked up my whole system when it decided it was time to do a “Scanning for changes…” again. No way to stop it, no way to really kill that process. Glad to be done with it.

I had the same, it got fixed by removing jbullet and adding (Gradle):smile:
compile “org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-bullet:$jmonkeyengine_version”
compile “org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-bullet-native:$jmonkeyengine_version”

First one probably takes jbullet in again.

This is not just shameless advertising, but our project is currently trying to migrate from JME 3.0 to 3.1. So I’m sharing this issue link where I try to collect some issues we encountered during the migration. Hoping it would help others. Most of them are Nifty related it seems. Oh, and also thank you JME devs & community members!

Here:

2 Likes

Thank you. Unfortunatelly, I do not know how to use Gradle. :frowning:

I also get this same error and have been trying to figure it out. I know that switching to native bullet instead of classic jbullet is an alternative, but native bullet sadly doesn’t work with my game for some reason (just plain crashes the JVM itself).

Don’t need to, just remove jbullet and add jme3-bullet.jar & jme3-bullet-native.jar to the dependencies. I think that should do the trick.

Yes, that’s what I meant when I said switching from jbullet to native bullet. And that doesn’t seem to work for me.

Edit: I’ve always had a problem with the JVM crashing with native bullet, so I know the problem isn’t specific to JME 3.1 alpha 2

Thanks for the answer. I’ve tried switching to a native lib and it works. Though, my CharacterControl (I’m not using a better char control) does not collide with anything anymore :frowning: So I guess, switching to a native bullet is not really a solution.

Native bullet is the future as jbullet was rolled from our own source that we don’t really have anymore.

Probably better to figure out the issues with native bullet and get them fixed since that’s the path that can be maintained in the long run.

Else, if you have the old jbullet.jar from JME 3.0 then you can include that in your dependencies as it just sounds like we’re missing something.

All right thanks for the feedback. I guess I might as well start digging into this issue now rather then later.

Ok somehow I do not find the proper way to use jME 3.1 alpha 2. So I temporary switch back to alpha 1 until a proper way is somewhere described. To copy around the jar files is not fun. If I hold it on a fixed place in my home I always end up having my absolute path in the jar file definitions.
I tried with gradle… but yeah that is sort too abstract to me for the moment.
But you have a lot of discussion and the proper way will come sooner or later I guess so I wait until the Java pros found a good way, I don’t care if command line or IDE just something which works as a starting point (what I currently miss).

You can always build SDK from source.

Did you miss the part where I explained how to setup your own lib references? Look in the Tools menu somewhere. Or hit F1 for help.

Then you won’t have to copy them around everywhere at least.

Thank you! I’ve just switchet from CharacterControl to BetterCharacterControl. Seems the problem was with the CharacterControl. The collisions with character work now. I don’t like how the BetterCharacter handles slopes and wall slides, but it’s not vital to my project.

As a side question, I don’t get how to set up Javadoc with Netbeans. I have been following this instructions. It says:

Select the jMonkeyEngine3.jar library entry from the list and click Edit.

However, one never adds a single jMonkeyEngine3.jar. Rather, one adds a whole bunch of jars, as is explained previously in the same doc:

Select all JARs in lib/ and click Select.

So, I don’t see a way to add Javadocs. And since I’m switching from SDK to a pure engine version, I would very much appreciate a possiblity to use Javadocs.

What is your IDE (netbeans, eclipse, idea,…) ?
How do you add jar dependencies (manual process, build tool, plugin ,…) ?

I’m using Netbeans and I’m adding jme3 jars manually, according to this instructions. You simply select all jars in lib/ and “open” them (as Netbeans file dialog says). So, there is no single jme3 jar to “edit” in order to add docs and sources.

sorry for delay, time to download,…try.
edit jme3-core.jar, add javadoc and select the directory javadoc from the dist you unzip (the sibling directory of the lib dir from where you install jar).

PS: Can you update / improve the instructions on the wiki ?

Thank you! It works! I would like to update a Wiki page, but I don’t have a wiki account. Only forum account.

1 Like

You should be able to log in with your forum account.