jMonkeyEngine SDK and JDK 6

Hi,

I downloaded and installed both the jMonkeyEngine SDK and JDK 6, but the jMonkey won’t launch:

“The JDK is missing and is required to run some NetBeans modules Please use the --jdkhome command line option to specify a JDK installation or see FaqRunningOnJre - NetBeans Wiki for more information”

I am totally confused! Both are installed but No Go!

I have Windows 7 x86

Help!

Clinton

Do you have the latest update? A few friends of me had the problem taht it cirpples it’s path entry on windows. try uninstall reboot reinstall, that fixed it for them. Also does java -version in cmd work?

Hi,

Do you mean the latest download of jMonkey? …yes I do. I reinstalled and rebooted but the same windows in my first post pops on the screen. Why does it say that the JDK is missing but I have it installed???

Also the only JDK 6 that I could find was the “Java SE 6 Update 43” here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

"Java Development Kit JDK 6
Your development team gets the Java Development Kit for free from http://www.java.com.
JDK is preinstalled on MacOS and available via package manager on many Linux systems. " This is the instruction on the download page for jMonkey but the only JDK 6 which I find at Oracle is the “Java SE 6 Update 43”.

I wish that the instruction gave an exact link to the JDK 6 download page at Oracle and the instructions were specific. It would be helpful too if the instructions said which JDK 6 NOT to download and install.

I really want to use jMonkey!! Please help - I am so confused!

Clinton

I got it to run!

The “JDK 6 Update 43 with NetBeans 7.3” made my jMonkey run! It is strange to me that the instructions at the jMonkey website do not specify NetBeans 7.3 bundled with JDK 6 Update 43.

Can the jMonkey staff fix that?

Next I will get the latest OpenGL

Thanks for trying to help! :amused:

Clinton

OpenGL comes as part of your graphics card’s driver, you don’t need a separate download for that.

@Fireskull said: I got it to run!

The “JDK 6 Update 43 with NetBeans 7.3” made my jMonkey run! It is strange to me that the instructions at the jMonkey website do not specify NetBeans 7.3 bundled with JDK 6 Update 43.

Can the jMonkey staff fix that?

Next I will get the latest OpenGL

Thanks for trying to help! :amused:

Clinton

Theres no need to use the NetBeans bundle version. The docs are right.

Hi,

So was I supposed to use the "JDK SE 6 Update 43 "?

The download page in conjunction with the vagueness of requiring “JDK 6” still has me confused.

Clinton

Yes

After a break because of work, I’m back! XD

Should I leave the “JDK 6 Update 43 with NetBeans 7.3″ as it is, installed, or should I uninstall it and start fresh? Would having the NetBeans 7.3 bundled with JDK 6 Update 43 cause any problems in jMonkey for me in developing applications? I plan to use Java, but not sure about the version of NetBeans.

I apologize for the noob questions, but once I get everything set, then I can get most of my help after that from tutorials. 8)

Clinton

so long as you are on a current enough SDK then you will update automatically, just use the built in update function.

Nothing stops you having both netbeans and the SDK running on the same computer - I do that all the time. In fact I even run both at once since I use one for JME projects and one for non-JME ones.

Okay,

Thanks, everyone! Your help and friendly attitude will go a long way! :slight_smile:

Clinton