jMonkeyEngine SDK - Isn't it Netbeans?

Hi there,

I took a look to your SDK. First - gratulations - for a hobbyproject it looks nice. I saw your IDE, but I think you steal it from Netbeans, or not? :slight_smile:

greetings

peter lenker

Its a NetBeans platform application and hence uses the same base as NetBeans and is compatible to NetBeans plugins of which we use a few, yes. It would not make sense to reinvent the wheel of a Java IDE and the NetBeans platform is meant for exactly this purpose. We’re happy you like it.

2 Likes

How is this base called and where is the copyright hint?

@Plenker said: How is this base called and where is the copyright hint?

As I said its called the NetBeans platform and besides the fact that you don’t need to include a “copyright hint” for NBP applications its right there in the manual and the application folder. I somehow get the feeling that the purpose of your post isn’t congratulating us on the SDK anymore though
 Or do you want to create your own NBP application?

3 Likes

No, you don’t understand me. Before I start to go deeper to an open source project - which means to invest my time - I want to be sure that it is no waste. So I check the licenses first and if the project is doing well and not violating third party rights.

When I open the SDK and click to “about”, the window tells me: “Copyright © 2012 jMonkeyEngine.”

I can’t really believe that you guys hold the copyright on the IDE, so I am careful with your engine.

That’s all, no need to worry.

@Plenker said: No, you don't understand me. Before I start to go deeper to an open source project - which means to invest my time - I want to be sure that it is no waste. So I check the licenses first and if the project is doing well and not violating third party rights.

When I open the SDK and click to “about”, the window tells me: “Copyright © 2012 jMonkeyEngine.”

I can’t really believe that you guys hold the copyright on the IDE, so I am careful with your engine.

That’s all, no need to worry.

Good, use something else then. Thanks again for the nice words.

1 Like

Thank you for your support. I let the question open, cause maybe someone from the official support can give me an answer.

To quote Michael Palin: ‘The world is an absurd and silly place’

Sorry, I can’t see the relation to the topic.

Normen is the most official support about JME SDK. (he is the lead, main dev, father,
 of the SDK)

Edit see Core Team or the commit in the repository.

Ah, right. I got that meanwhile. Than the quote makes sense and it explains normans reaction. He is just upset. Sorry for the way I asked my question.

There is something else I find out. You don’t need to use the ide norman has written.

take a look at NetBeans IDE - NetBeans Rich-Client Platform Development (RCP)

JME SDK is even featured here: https://platform.netbeans.org/screenshots.html

You don’t need to use the ide norman has written.

This is true. You can use JME in regular netbeans or eclipse if you want to. Although you would lose out on a lot of features.

@david.bernard.31 said: Edit see Core Team or the commit in the repository.

I see. But norman is only the god of the platform sdk and not really involved to jme-developing, right?

What kind of trolling is this? You say that you don’t trust that we followed copyright practices, I said we did. What question exactly is still open then? I am serious that when you don’t believe me you will have to use something else so you don’t have to have “trust issues”.

3 Likes