JMP locking up on Ubuntu 64-bit

Hi,

This morning I incorrectly installed jMP (I’ll get to that in a second!). Tonight, I uninstalled it, deleted the sample project I had created with it, and re-installed it correctly… well, sort of.

When I installed it this morning, I copied the installer to /opt/someDirectory and then installed it using sudo (don’t ask why, I plead insanity). So the command was something like this: sudo sh /opt/someDirectory/jme3_installer.sh.

The installer launched successfully and guided me through to my very first launch of jMP. I was very excited and spent the morning toying around inside of it.

But then I closed it, and when I went to re-open it (not as superuser), it opened with all sorts of error message complaining about permissions. It’s because I installed it with sudo, but am now trying to open it as non-sudo.

So, I uninstalled it completely, removed/deleted my sample project, re-downloaded and re-installed it without using sudo. Now it is installed to my /home/username/jmonkeyplatform directory. But every time I try to run it, I get the splash screen, it opens and… it freezes. There’s a progress bar at the bottom of the screen at 14% (stuck their permanently) with a message saying “Opening scene explorer…”.

What I noticed is that the Project Explorer still has the name of my old (deleted) game project loaded in the root of the tree. I am thinking that it is attempting to load my old project by default, and not correctly responding to the fact that the project no longer exists.

What do you guys/gals think? Is there a way to open jMP from the terminal and pass it arguments to open without a project? How can I get jMP to open correctly?!?

Yeah, apparently its best to install and execute jMP as root on some systems, I don’t have a linux system that runs jMP, so I cannot test much about this, but you can maybe check if theres some install hints for NetBeans, it uses the same Installer. If you find something, let me know!

Thanks,

Normen

Thanks Normen - I’ll prod around and try to post the solution in the next 24 hrs or so. Aside from the linux/root issue, I’m still a little concerned that I see jMP trying to load a deleted project on startup - no way to override this, is there?

Thanks for any help - I’ll post back on the linux issue soon.

-Zac

Okay I figured it out and might have a bug to report, but I’ll post this first and see what everybody else thinks.

So there were actually three (3) separate issues happening all at once, with the first two stemming from the same problem, which is that the uninstaller script that comes with jMP doesn’t delete hidden files, at least .jmonkeyplatform and another like (not sure what it is exactly, now I can’t find it) .jmonkeyprojects.

(1) Since those hidden files were never deleted, and because I first tried installing jMP as root (for what reason, I know not), there were still some locked files with root privs that were causing the non-root installation to throw permissions-based errors on startup; and

(2) Since those hidden files were never deleted, somewhere inside them my old (deleted) “JME3Test1” project was cached and jMP attempted to load it at startup, causing the whole platform to freeze without recouse; and

(3) On my Ubuntu-64 distribution, there is also a non-breaking exception that gets thrown every single time the program loads (Null PointerException on SceneViewer). More on this next.

But the point is, I deleted those hidden files, re-installed jMP as my normal (non-root) user and…pure beauty! This thing is amazing and looks nicer and more professional than NetBeans! Great job jMP Makers of the World, whoever you are…

However, there’s still an exception being thrown on startup and because I’m so new to this I’m not sure if it will affect my ability to develop with it or not. I’ll describe it now, and if you guys think I should report it as a formal bug, please let me know what I have to do.

On startup (every time) the IDE must go through a laundry list of “things to do.” One of these things is to open the SceneViewer. So at the bottom-right portion of the screen you get a progress bar that goes from 0 - 100% with the label “Opening SceneViewer…” At exactly 14% (every time) it stops dead and a little error icon appears to the right of it. If you click on that icon a tool-tip style (white background) dialog pops up stating:

Unexpected Exception: X Error - disp: 0x2708fd0 serial: 32 error: BadValue(integer parameter out of range for operation) request_code: 1 minor_code: 0…

After that last zero (0) the message/tool-tip is truncated. Since the message is actually a clickable link (in NetBeans fashion) you can click on it, which causes it to disappear, and the progress bar stays at 14% forever, and the black SceneViewer (that I saw only when I installed jMP as root) never loads.

If you need more details I’ll be around (Sunday, 2/6/2011) all day (8 AM - 8 PM EST) to recreate it for any interested parties.

And if anybody has any suggestions for how to circumvent it and get SceneViewer to load correctly, let me know! (I’m thinking that perhaps its a 32-bit 64-bit thing? I downloaded the installer from this link: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/downloads/?did=2

Thanks!

1 Like

Does your graphics card support OpenGL 2.0? When the SceneViewer crashes while loading, there should be a little warning sign in the bottom right of the window, click it and post all exceptions listed.

Edit: normen, yes my card supports OpenGL 2.0

Ok - crazy week of work - sorry it took so long for me to get back here.

Here is the exception message:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.jme3.renderer.lwjgl.LwjglRenderer.initialize(LwjglRenderer.java:172)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglContext.internalCreate(LwjglContext.java:72)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.initInThread(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:133)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:183)

[catch] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

Again, this exception gets thrown when the “Opening SceneViewer:” progress bar reaches 14%.

This bug is making it extremely difficult for me to use JMP!!! When I closed JMP down the last time, I had maximized the view on one of my source files, so that it took up all of JMP’s client area. Since NetBeans always remembers how your screen was configured the last time you used it, JMP attempts to do the same, so that every time it loads now, it loads that source file maximized inside the client area.

When I attempt to minimize it, to restore the normal/default view, since the exception has already been thrown, JMP refuses to restore and freezes completely. The only way to stop it is to kill the process and re-launch JMP, which is probably not great for the system.

I’d really like to start playing around with this, so if anybody has any suggestions as to how to fix it, I’m all ears!

Hey,

I had the same issue as you with Ubuntu 10.04. Installed with sudo not really thinking. Didn’t notice it until the example project was created under root. After that I went ahead and removed JMP only to find out the uninstall script doesn’t actually remove everything. Attempting to reinstall without sudo gave all sorts of errors.

I decided to try and install it on a fresh Ubuntu install without using sudo. So far everything seems to work.

Update…

I went ahead and updated to the nightly build. After the update was complete the scene manager no longer works and it shows an error saying I dont have the correct drivers installed for OpenGL 2. Funny how it was fine before the nightly build update. I think I am going to try various linux flavors and see if the errors follow.

EDIT: I can still run the various example projects without a problem.

The error just displays on most everything that happens in the scene, ignore the driver message, something else is wrong.