jMP self-destruct when updating on Windows7 – Hints for developer please!

Hey,

lately messages have accumulated that people have broken jMP installs after updating, mostly these seem to happen on Windows(7). I’d like to find out more about this problem but since I have no Windows7 machine that I can install jMP on, I am dependent on your help.

Theres several things that could have caused the problem, first of all we have moved our server to new hardware and the hudson build system we have running was failing on the new computer for a while, which might have resulted in broken update packages available in the update center (however I could not verify this beyond any doubt).

Another reason that @pspeed uncovered could be that when a library of jMP is used externally (e.g. when the javadoc is opened in a browser) the modules might not be updated correctly. However the javadoc is the only thing where I deem this possible, because jMP is restarting for updating, effectively closing all applications using that data.

The first Idea I had was user rights problems, some security update in Windows that would handle access to different folders differently. Afaik Windows recognizes jMP as a 32bit software because the native execution stub is 32bit, maybe that is a reason why there might be restricted access rules for the software? Or theres problems because jMP actually runs the 64bit jvm when available?

As a last thing being said, most users were able to remedy the problems by reinstalling and updating jMP (dont forget to enable the nightly update center if you did before). Still, if anyone has any hints, I am all ears.

Cheers,

Normen

I just updated my old jMP and it seems to work fine.

Maybe it only breaks when you update to the revisions when hudson was broken?

I dont know, lets hope so because then it shouldnt happen anymore :slight_smile:

I use Windows Vista and I had the same problem. I reïnstalled jMP and it’s working ok now.

I’m sure it broke with the update of last sunday. jMP said that it hadn’t found the library “jme3”.

I think w7 also installs on a mac.

[Edit] I have jMP running on wxp and w7, although lately I haven’t tried re-installing them from scratch…

Hahahaha, yeah, sure, I will install Windows on my Mac xD Hilarious. Happy I got away from that MS hell, never again!

java, write once debug everywhere

I had this problem some times after updating the sdk (in windows 7). The error was always the same about a module that cannot be active and broken reference to jm3 library. The fastest way I’ve found to fix it (and the laziest one :P) was uninstall the SDK and delete the dev folder in our home (users) folders, install the sdk again and update to the last nightly build.

Btw, after clicking restart during the plugins update, the sdk only closes and do not start automatically.

darthx said:
Btw, after clicking restart during the plugins update, the sdk only closes and do not start automatically.

This indicates that something else is wrong.
normen said:

Having same problem, using win7. Though it ain't such a big problem.
normen said:

f4ntti said:
Having same problem, using win7. Though it ain't such a big problem.

Yes it isn't a big deal, but same happens a friend of mine (in windows 7), including the update problem that happens sometimes.

I managed to install jMP on a machine in my Studio, its a completely clean WIndows7 machine, only some audio software an drivers installed. I was updating it along with my normal jMP version during the last days and I could not reproduce either the rebooting or the broken update problems, it seems this has to do with some slightly messy/broken windows installations.

normen said:
Another reason that @pspeed uncovered could be that when a library of jMP is used externally (e.g. when the javadoc is opened in a browser) the modules might not be updated correctly. However the javadoc is the only thing where I deem this possible, because jMP is restarting for updating, effectively closing all applications using that data.

I'm going to elaborate on this a little just in case it affects others. That problem is pretty insidious and really not jMP's fault but it didn't stop me from cussing a lot. ;)

In my case, I would update to the nightly and things would look like they worked. jMP would restart and I'd try to build my projects... and they would fail since they couldn't find the right libraries. Furthermore, the update page said I still hadn't updated.

Before giving up completely and reinstalling jMP, I tried to wipe the stuff from the jmonkeyplatform/libs directory (after backing them up). I noticed the dates on some of the files were wrong and even more telling: I couldn't delete the javadocs zip. Windows said it was in use by another process, blah blah blah.

In the jMP editor, when you select a JME class and right-click "Show Javadocs" it opens that right from the javadoc zip. As it turns out, even closing the open javadocs in Firefox didn't "release" it's grip. I had to completely kill firefox before I could delete the javadoc zip. After that, jMP updated just fine and all was right with the world.

It sounds like others are having a slightly different issue but I thought I'd explain just in case. In my case, I'm running Windows XP so maybe the same failure is slightly different on Win7. And maybe it's completely unrelated. ;)
normen said:
I managed to install jMP on a machine in my Studio, its a completely clean WIndows7 machine, only some audio software an drivers installed. I was updating it along with my normal jMP version during the last days and I could not reproduce either the rebooting or the broken update problems, it seems this has to do with some slightly messy/broken windows installations.

Its hard to reproduce it, it is almost random (maybe the result of some (update) server error or something else).

pspeed said:
In the jMP editor, when you select a JME class and right-click "Show Javadocs" it opens that right from the javadoc zip. As it turns out, even closing the open javadocs in Firefox didn't "release" it's grip. I had to completely kill firefox before I could delete the javadoc zip. After that, jMP updated just fine and all was right with the world.

It sounds like others are having a slightly different issue but I thought I'd explain just in case. In my case, I'm running Windows XP so maybe the same failure is slightly different on Win7. And maybe it's completely unrelated. ;)

This happened to me at least 3 times. When I've reinstalled the IDE, I noticed that the javadocs zip was locked by firefox.

EDIT:
@pspeed appears to be right.
Tested right now. 1st open the javadocs in the IDE help menu (Help->Javadoc References) and start the update. When the update ends, I press the restart button, the IDE closes and do not open (as reported early). I start the IDE manually, netbeans starts unpacking the updates and do the normal stuff, but the IDE do not start up automaticaly like would be normal. Start the IDE again, the loading goes normal and then shows the dialog: "Warning - could not install some modules: Project Templates - The module named com.jme3.gde.project.baselibs/1 was needed and not found." with options to disable module or exit. I press disable, the IDE opens and shows the reference problems because the jme3 jars seems to be missing. Also the Project Templates module becomes broken.

All people still having these problems, please try to use the uninstaller to uninstall jMP including its settings folder, then install a fresh jMP. If that does not solve the problem, reinstall and enable downloading the plugins to “shared directories” before updating, which might circumvent the problem.

Cheers,

Normen