jMP SimpleSceneComposer improvements

Hey,

now that the other stuff around it is working properly (collision, physics load-save etc) I finally was able to make SceneComposer a bit more of a real editor.

New features added:

• 3D-Cursor
  • Move cursor by right-clicking geometry
  • Add item at cursor selection
  • Selection can be highlighted
  • A grid can be displayed
  • Tool to create tangents on geometry
  • Tool to create a PhysicsNode with MeshCollisionShape from selected spatial

Screen Shot

To check it out, update jMP with nightly update center enabled.

Cheers,

Normen

P.S. Also, jMP got lots faster now that I disabled file logging which caused strange delays.

Wow that's great!!!

Thank you Normen!!!

Coolest thing ever.

Hi Norman,

I've played around with it and it looks really nice. I most like the option to add PhysicsGeometry to the object.

I still got one question. In roadmap there is an item "Terrain / map editing". How can I relate the SceneComposer to the Terrain / map editor ? Is the SceneComposer the Terrain / map editor.

If I have a terrain and add a gate to it in the SceneComposer, is the gate in the terrain then a reference or copy to/of the original object ?

I'm asking the last question, because if I create the j3o again for the gate and I have a copy of the gate in the terrain scene, I have to place the gate again on the terrain in the SceneComposer. It would be nice to have references here to the added objects (gates). I hope it's clear because it's a little bit long sentence.

Thanks in advance.

The way I want to implement/integrate a terrain editor would be like this:

You have a plugin similar to SimpleSceneComposer thats the terrain editor, you first create your terrain there and can modify it later as well. After creating the terrain, you open the same file in SimpleSceneComposer and add some models, make it have physics collision shapes etc. and then finally you can load the complete scene in your game.

Hope this helps,

Normen

Ok, that sound good.

But when I edit my terrain later in the terrain editor (when the scene is already finished), are the changes to the terrain directly reflected to the scene ? Are the objects in the scene references to the original objects ?

Vortex said:

Ok, that sound good.

But when I edit my terrain later in the terrain editor (when the scene is already finished), are the changes to the terrain directly reflected to the scene ? Are the objects in the scene references to the original objects ?

Well the terrain you create in TerrainEditor would be updated when you edit it again later, yes, its part of the file anyway.
Also, you can already add models (j3o or ogrexml) to a scene in SceneComposer but currently the scene is just one binary file that contains all information so the models are not updated when you change the model file you imported afterwards.
I might introduce a new Spatial in jme3 that reloads a model from a assetManager key so some kind of "linking" could happen, I will have to see.
Well the terrain you create in TerrainEditor would be updated when you edit it again later, yes, its part of the file anyway.
Also, you can already add models (j3o or ogrexml) to a scene in SceneComposer but currently the scene is just one binary file that contains all information so the models are not updated when you change the model file you imported afterwards.

Ok. That's clear then.

I might introduce a new Spatial in jme3 that reloads a model from a assetManager key so some kind of "linking" could happen, I will have to see.

It would be very handy to have this option. Especially if you're prototyping a scene it's really unhandy if you have to re-place the objects again and again.

Maybe the last post sounded a little bit harsch, but I think jME/jMP is already a very valuable tool.

I just have to say that…  :slight_smile:

Vortex said:

Maybe the last post sounded a little bit harsch, but I think jME/jMP is already a very valuable tool.
I just have to say that...  :)

No problem, but I somehow knew you would post this answer and I just about managed to keep my "orly??" for myself ;)

Ok then.  :slight_smile:

Linking system has been added! Open a scene, select a Node, right-click another model in the assets and select "add link in SceneComposer".