JOGL Support (JOGL2 that is)

@nehon There is no need to tinker anything, the "-post-jar" target should be enough, all required JARs are already available, even those containing native libraries. I don't know why the skybox doesn't work, I'll have to investigate. I don't know why there is some tearing, several people gave me their "old" laptops, I will probably be able to reproduce this bug with one of them.

@erlend_sh I have just looked at the source code, it seems correct but it would be fine if contributors avoided unnecessary modifications of import clauses so that I can focus on real changes. I will run an existing example to test this patch. Please don't misspell my pseudo.

@nehon I've just fixed the bug you reported about the V-sync and I've fixed another one in the debug pipeline. I will find a simple example using a skybox in order to understand what is wrong.

Cool thanks!

Here is a test for the sky.
You'll have to add the test-data library for it to work in a Game project
[java]
import com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication;
import com.jme3.scene.Spatial;
import com.jme3.util.SkyFactory;

public class TestSky extends SimpleApplication {

public static void main(String... argv) {
    TestSky app = new TestSky();
    app.start();
}

@Override
public void simpleInitApp() {
    Spatial sky = SkyFactory.createSky(assetManager, "Scenes/Beach/FullskiesSunset0068.dds", false);
    rootNode.attachChild(sky);
}

}

[/java]

Hi

The problem doesn't come from the sky boxes. All examples using sky boxes use compressed textures too. Just replace these DDS files by PNGs and it works. TextureUtil badly handles compressed textures. @nehon please can you test by replacing 0 by 1 here and here? I have given my main computer to my mother-in-law and I have configured the development environment for JMonkeyEngine 3.0 only on a crappy machine supporting OpenGL 1.3 which is not enough for testing any demo with the shader based renderer.

OK I'll check that out thanks.

Hi

I'm going to switch to the latest RC of JOGL 2.0.2 very soon. You can find the release notes here.

Hi

Someone complained about not being able to use JMonkeyEngine 3 RC2 with JOGL 2.0 as you can see here:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.jme3.system.jogl.JoglDisplay

Do I have to modify something more to make it work?

<cite>@gouessej said:</cite>
Hi

Someone complained about not being able to use JMonkeyEngine 3 RC2 with JOGL 2.0 as you can see here:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.jme3.system.jogl.JoglDisplay

Do I have to modify something more to make it work?

Seems like he's missing some jars from the classpath, they are not referenced in the jMonkeyEngine3.jar in case its an Eclipse user who just referenced that instead of referencing the actual library jar files.

@nehon I still have no machine to test my suggestion for DDS, let me know when you have some time to help me (and please read your PMs).

@gouessej said:
@nehon I still have no machine to test my suggestion for DDS, let me know when you have some time to help me (and please read your PMs).

I just checked (at last) and that doesn't change anything.
I'm gonna try to play around with it and see what i can do

<cite> @nehon said:</cite>
I just checked (at last) and that doesn't change anything.
I'm gonna try to play around with it and see what i can do

Ok, I hope that this bug only concerns DDS.

Hi

I've just updated the renderer based on JOGL 2.0, it uses JOGL 2.0.2 build 989 (May 11th, 2013) now. Sorry for the delay. Best regards.

Hi

I will have to switch to the RC12. The stable version of JOGL 2.0 will probably be ready in a few weeks or months.

Hi

I've just switched to JOGL 2.0.2 (stable release). I still have to fix the bug in the use of DDS for skyboxes. Best regards.

Edit.: I wasted one hour because of Netbeans, the dialog "Manage Connection Settings" wasn't working properly, I couldn't enter anything in the "user" field. I committed the source code in command line.

Hello @gouessej!

I think you commited by mistake thise two lines: https://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyengine/source/diff?spec=svn10741&r=10741&format=side&path=/trunk/engine/src/core/com/jme3/app/Application.java

Now, either way u go, JOGL is always selected :stuck_out_tongue:

<cite>@Setekh said:</cite>
Hello @gouessej!

I think you commited by mistake thise two lines: https://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyengine/source/diff?spec=svn10741&r=10741&format=side&path=/trunk/engine/src/core/com/jme3/app/Application.java

Now, either way u go, JOGL is always selected :P

Sorry, I thought I had excluded it from the commit. I'm going to revert this change now. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

Edit.: Reverted in 10742

I used this JOGL and each keyboard continuous keypress stops working after about a second.

Hi

<cite> @PlugBug said:</cite>
I used this JOGL and each keyboard continuous keypress stops working after about a second.

As far as I know, I don't use InputEvent.isAutoRepeat() to keep only "real" events, it should work, I have to investigate. I will try to reproduce this bug without JMonkeyEngine as I suspect something wrong in NEWT.

I think that I have found a fix for the DDS bug, data.remaining() could be used if and only if data is a byte buffer. I have just looked at how the competitor of JOGL calls the native OpenGL method:
http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/org.lwjgl.lwjgl/lwjgl/2.8.1/org/lwjgl/opengl/GL13.java#158

I don't forget JOGL adopters :wink:

Edit.: Fix committed, @nehon please can you give it a try?

Edit.2: bug reported by PlugBug fixed

:affe: Yes, you fixed it. Continuous KeyPress works fine in jMonkeyEngine now.

<cite> @PlugBug said:</cite>
:affe: Yes, you fixed it. Continuous KeyPress works fine in jMonkeyEngine now.

Yes I fixed this bug in the JOGL backend, it was already working correctly in the other one as you said. Thank you for your feedback. I think that a few hacks used for AWT should be removed from the NEWT part as they are useless and they can cause bugs.