JOGL thinks it's cool again

Don’t know if anyone else has seen this yet:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/campbell/archive/2007/01/java_2d_and_jog.html

I’d be curious to see if we could do the same thing and get a higher FPS. :wink:

The text in 3D was very impressive…I know there was quite a bit of work since the last time I played with text in jME, but can we get text looking that smooth?

Not bad.  The text I have going at work at smooth like that (it's really not that hard, just a matter of setting certain awt Graphics hints and Texture filter args.  The AWT-> texture renderer stuff is also fairly straightforward.  The impressive thing about the demo to me is the narrative style and presentation.  We should make a few demo apps like that.

Text, seems like everyone is coming up with their own style, ill find time over the next few weeks and submit my attempt, would be nice if something could be added to the core to prevent more text image inventions, transparent / opaque backgrounds …

Actually found that the demo started at 360 fps, but when the cube was spinning it was down to 80 fps ( not that good ?? )

My FPS was much higher throughout, but there was a significant drop for the spinning…that's to be expected though.

It's spinning with a texture that is dynamically being changed on the fly…I would assume that would take a little more performance than just a standard cube spinning. :wink:

Except that only the one texture is changing, and that texture is being displayed on the left already.

so when does the jme version of the demo come out? :slight_smile: just to make jogl look bad :slight_smile:

nothing impressive, except for the time put down in making the narrative, as mojo says. text look the same in my own classes. would be interesting to have something similar for performance comparison though…

as who says?  :stuck_out_tongue:

You two just look so much alike.  :stuck_out_tongue:

heh, sorry man. i'm old and wimsy, you'll get there one day too :wink:

Does somebody work on the JOGL version of jME ?  :?

Targ, was that you raising your hand to help support it?  }:-@

Why not, I'm very interested by jME and I want to make it grow up !

The main problem is that I'm afraid to work alone and to give up by a lack of time and motivation.

To increase the success rate of a project, I think it is a good idea to work with other people.

If somebody is interested by adding a JOGL support to jME, we could work together.

What do you think about that froggy ? Are you interested to work with a white french hyperkinetic lagomorph ?

You could become an hero this time :).

Well, first of all, jME is already grown up, we just still act like kids…at least I do.  :stuck_out_tongue:

Secondly, there was a JOGL binding already worked on at some point back but I'm not sure what the status of it is or where to find it…someone else will surely pipe in to insert that information here once they see there's an interested party.

Thirdly, if you hadn't mentioned the french part I might have been tempted to help.  :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, at the moment I don't have a lot of free time (got a few projects on my plate at the moment).  Further, if I did have the time I don't really see a benefit to a JOGL binding for jME really.  LWJGL can do everything JOGL can do to my understanding.

jME is already grown up

I know, I just wanted to say that I want to contribute to jME to make it better. (lack of english vocabulary)

if you hadn't mentioned the french part I might have been tempted to help.

:-o What a bad spirit ! Perhaps you don't know that some english people call us "the frogs"  :).
Targ said:

jME is already grown up

I know, I just wanted to say that I want to contribute to jME to make it better. (lack of english vocabulary)

if you hadn't mentioned the french part I might have been tempted to help.

:-o What a bad spirit ! Perhaps you don't know that some english people call us "the frogs"  :).

....hadn't heard that, but I had heard your national color was yellow. ;)

hehe, anyway, back to the real topic here, what benefit do you see to adding JOGL support to jME?

In germany we don't call french "the frogs", we call them frog-eaters.

Once my Mum was in France she ordered something to eat. Her french wasn't good. And after eating she asked the waiter what she had eaten. He said: "Quack, Quack" XD

So, darkfrog, it is better to run when you see him.

Lets not get too far off here.  It's true I'm not happy with france in general but I don't hold it against every french person. :wink:

Besides, "it's just a harmless little bunny". :wink:

what benefit do you see to adding JOGL support to jME?

Then, I'm very interrested by 3d engine in generals and I spent a lot of time to read jme code during my debugging days...
After reading this code, I could say that I'm not agree with some coding choices in the engine. I think that programming a JOGL version of jME could improve the general quality of this library by providing an alternative implementation of the engine. BTW, we could compare the general performance of the JOGL against the current LWJGL implementation.

JOGL is not my personal goal, I just want to contribute to jME. I regret that there is no "todo list" on the jME web site to help you.

I see that you want to develop a subversion of jME, but I don't know why. I want to know what are your motivations, and why people are not agree with you about that.

"it's just a harmless little bunny"

You are a tasty frog, so don't be taken in by appearances }:-@ !

I'm not happy with France in general

Me too. :|  But I don't think we have the same feelings about it.