JOODE binding

I have added a JOODE binding to jME Physics 2. Works well, yay - no natives needed :smiley:

Have fun testing it…

But beware: Some important things are not supported by JOODE or are incomplete, it seems:

• TriMesh collision geometry
  • Ray (incomplete)
  • Two rotational axes joint with stops (Hinge2 bugged)
  • Two rotational axes joint without stops (Universal)
  • ERP for joints
  • CMF for some joints

Btw. who were the guys planning to make a PhysX binding?

*slowly raises hand

hmmm…Do we really need it outside of being able to import physics via Collada?

I just don't want to work on it if nobody is really going to use it or be able to rather.

I forget what others support exporting of physics to Collada other than Maya.

Then there is the intergration of those dynamics into jME scenes…however if it's viable and others are willing to help then let's go for it.

PhysX is 100,000 times better than ODE in virtually every way…so yes, having a PhysX binding would be about the coolest thing possible for jME-Physics in my opinion. :slight_smile:

darkfrog said:

PhysX is 100,000 times better than ODE in virtually every way....

Not quite: It's still lacking linux and mac support!!!
irrisor said:

Not quite: It's still lacking linux and mac support!!!

Thats what makes it 100,000 times better!!

Hoho, Micro dollar oft sassed!  XD

But the new released sdk offers vista and linux support!

Or am I mistaken?

As nice as it is to be able to write games and release them for Windows, Linux, and Mac to be honest with ourselves we must accept that commercial gaming is going to remain centralized around Windows at least for the next few years.  If you're doing game development the only required platform to release it to is Windows…the rest is just icing.

aye

so that leaves the question are we going to do it?

and who's with me?  I've sort of a tight schedule with school and all.

But I think we can do this…

I don’t know about performance ramifications of it, but a quick means of getting this implemented might be via JNA:

https://jna.dev.java.net/

Sure would help deal with the native code aspects.

darkfrog said:

As nice as it is to be able to write games and release them for Windows, Linux, and Mac to be honest with ourselves we must accept that commercial gaming is going to remain centralized around Windows at least for the next few years.

The problem there though is that there's always a question on the lack of Windows sales whether it's because there are just so many more gamers willing to shell out money for this on other platforms or if the competition for Windows games is so much higher. As well, the fact that Linux and Mac users have so few games to choose from as it is, it's likely a large spike would occur based on that factor alone.  Granted, that is actually a good reason to be developing for the triune platforms…

In my opinion, though I did enjoy playing Tribal Trouble, I thought there really was nothing new about the concept and could find plenty of other games on Windows that offer many more features for the money.

That's all very intresting reasoning… but if it means by the end of the day alternative platforms bring in a substantial percentage of sales (at low marketing costs too, I can imagine), sounds pretty "commercial" to me. As for "Games are crap on linux and mac, so you should compete on the windows market only" -without discussing whether the first part of that statement is true or not-, like you admit yourself, that's crazy reasoning, not commercial thinking.

To me writing a Java game that only runs on Windows  is stupid and destroys the very soul of Java!

Its SOUL I say!  :-o

Ill second that emotion, its like saying graphic designers cant have games

Graphic Designers you say?

Hmm, maybe darkfrog is onto something after all!  XD

Please put references to banter in the Dark Frog Soap Opera Thread, please lets not trash another discussion

theprism said:

Please put references to banter in the Dark Frog Soap Opera Thread, please lets not trash another discussion

Hey now, I'm perfectly on topic here.  The topic was diverted to discussing implementing a binding for PhysX and we're discussing the ramifications of a binding that limits the game to Windows only.

llama said:

That's all very intresting reasoning.. but if it means by the end of the day alternative platforms bring in a substantial percentage of sales (at low marketing costs too, I can imagine), sounds pretty "commercial" to me. As for "Games are crap on linux and mac, so you should compete on the windows market only" -without discussing whether the first part of that statement is true or not-, like you admit yourself, that's crazy reasoning, not commercial thinking.

A valid point. For independent game development perhaps the only likely means to make an income is to push to all three platforms and benefit from the lack of competition on Mac and Linux. There are game companies working on games for multiple platforms now and there is obviously good marketing value to pushing that direction. I was primarily just trying to say that just because using PhysX binding may limit to only the Windows platform, I don't think that should necessarily make it a deal breaker. If it was explicitly limited to Mac or Linux that might be more problematic.

theprism said:

Ill second that emotion, its like saying graphic designers cant have games

That's just Mac wannabe propaganda!  :|

Well, to keep it on topic… thanks to irrisor we can have as many bindings we want. Right now it's only irrisor making them though :stuck_out_tongue:

I suppose you could even use PhysX for your windows game and ODE or something else for the other platforms… with a bit of effort.

ummm…are we going to do this?

I personally would love to see it done and am happy to help in what limited ways I can, but I really don't have a lot of time lately to give.  I hesitate to say, "Yes, lets do this", when I'm really not able to make a big commitment to it myself.  If you have the time and are willing then this could be a very grand project.