JRE crashing when using sample code

Hi,

Has anyone experienced crashing JRE when running the samples or closing JMP? It seems to be caused by java unloading OpenAL64.dll drivers. I don’t recally seeing this a few days ago. Things I have tried are rolling back my Nvidia drivers, rolling back from Java 7 to 6, updating the nightly builds. Nothing seems to have worked. I’m running Vista x64. Going to roll back my sound drivers now then if that doesn’t fix it going to update everything to where it was…I maybe some time.

Here is the code (not convinced it’s that relevant though):

[java]

package jme3test.helloworld;

import com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication;

import com.jme3.material.Material;

import com.jme3.math.Vector3f;

import com.jme3.scene.Geometry;

import com.jme3.scene.shape.Box;

import com.jme3.math.ColorRGBA;

import com.jme3.scene.Node;

/** Sample 2 - How to use nodes as handles to manipulate objects in the scene.

• You can rotate, translate, and scale objects by manipulating their parent nodes.
  • The Root Node is special: Only what is attached to the Root Node appears in the scene. /

public class Main extends SimpleApplication {

public static void main(String[] args){

Main app = new Main();

app.start();

}

@Override

public void simpleInitApp() {

/
    * create a blue box at coordinates (1,-1,1) /

Box box1 = new Box( new Vector3f(1,-1,1), 1,1,1);

Geometry blue = new Geometry("Box", box1);

Material mat1 = new Material(assetManager,

"Common/MatDefs/Misc/Unshaded.j3md");

mat1.setColor("Color", ColorRGBA.Blue);

blue.setMaterial(mat1);

/
    * create a red box straight above the blue one at (1,3,1) /

Box box2 = new Box( new Vector3f(1,3,1), 1,1,1);

Geometry red = new Geometry("Box", box2);

Material mat2 = new Material(assetManager,

"Common/MatDefs/Misc/Unshaded.j3md");

mat2.setColor("Color", ColorRGBA.Red);

red.setMaterial(mat2);

/
    * Create a pivot node at (0,0,0) and attach it to the root node /

Node pivot = new Node("pivot");

rootNode.attachChild(pivot); // put this node in the scene

/
    * Attach the two boxes to the pivot node. /

pivot.attachChild(blue);

pivot.attachChild(red);

/
    * Rotate the pivot node: Note that both boxes have rotated! */

pivot.rotate(.4f,.4f,0f);

}

}[/java]

Cheers,

Zobbo

G’day Zobbo,

Yeah you’re not alone. I’m getting it. Although its more of an annoyance than anything, as it only happens after closing jMP, or after closing a run of code.

1 Like

yes, some people reported this.

1 Like

Thanks guys. Yes, it’s not hindering me or anything just wondered if it was a known issue. I noticed my sound drivers (Auzentech Forte) had a fix for “BSOD during OpenAL games” but doesn’t seem to have worked in this case. It has Creative chipset so wondered if it effected other Creative cards.

Cheers,

Zobbo

Its the current OpenAL build I guess. Due to other issues we are messing around with the nightly lwjgl version (this also plays its part in the delay of beta)

2 Likes

This thread on the lwjgl forum seems relevant. Basically, it seems to manifest with x64 versions of Windows 7 (and possibly x64 Vista as well).

I too am experiencing this problem. It interferes with running the JmeTests TestChooser sample project. After one test finishes, the entire application is forced to close.

lyceq said:
This thread on the lwjgl forum seems relevant. Basically, it seems to manifest with x64 versions of Windows 7 (and possibly x64 Vista as well).

I too am experiencing this problem. It interferes with running the JmeTests TestChooser sample project. After one test finishes, the entire application is forced to close.

I'm running x64 Vista so I'm pretty convinced it is :D I've got WIn7 x64 going to install it soon, see if I have the same issue.

Cheers,
Zobbo

yeh im getting this as well, JVM crashing + jmp crashing when closing it, Windows 7

Yes, its a lwjgl issue, hopefully they fix it before we push the first stable update.

normen said:
Yes, its a lwjgl issue, hopefully they fix it before we push the first stable update.

Ask and ye shall receive. Matzon checked a fix into the LWJGL trunk and it will be in the 2.8.2 release. Details are in the link I mentioned before.
1 Like

Awesome :slight_smile:

Since the website went down and changed host my updates have been failing so I can’t check. Do I need to point JMP to a new URL for updates? It’s trying to get http://jmonkeyengine.com/platform/updatecenter/alpha/com-jme3-gde-core-baselibs.nbm

Cheers,

Zobbo

You are using Alpha-4, there is no updates anymore for that. Beta is out. :roll:

Ok, so how does that work? Just uninstall alpha jmp and install beta?

Zobbo

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/2011/10/22/jmonkeyengine3-sdk-beta-released/

Thanks Normen, sorry I wasn’t paying attention to the beta release :frowning: Still trying to find my way around.

Zobbo

@lyceq said:
Ask and ye shall receive. Matzon checked a fix into the LWJGL trunk and it will be in the 2.8.2 release. Details are in the link I mentioned before.

Hi. I just installed JME3 beta yesterday, and performed the update today. But it's crashing on close (and restarting), and so are the examples (but not restarting). It looks like this problem. I'm still on Vista x64 (too lazy to upgrade to Win7). Unfortunately, I don't see stack-traces or anything useful in the "Output->Application" so I'm not sure. Is the fix supposed to already be integrated in the updates, or is it still coming? (Can't tell from the discussion here) If it's already been deployed in the updates, that means it either doesn't work for me, or I have another problem.

Where do the stack-traces go, if they don't show in "Output->Application"?
@monster said:
Is the fix supposed to already be integrated in the updates, or is it still coming?

Still coming, lwjgl 2.8.2 isn't out yet
@monster said:
... Unfortunately, I don't see stack-traces or anything useful in the "Output->Application" so ... it either doesn't work for me, or I have another problem.

Where do the stack-traces go, if they don't show in "Output->Application"?

There was no stack trace for me either and, to be honest, I didn't really look for it. I simply set a break point for when the application begins closing and stepped through, checking each thread to see what they were doing. If you are experience the bug talked about in this thread, then the crash will occur a step or two after LwjglAudioRenderer.java:274*. The call to AL.destroy() causes some unkosher COM calls which causes the force close.

If you set a breakpoint there and press F8 a few times and don't crash, then I'd say that you're not experience this problem but a different one. Another good indicator is if the fault module name is OpanAL64.dll_unloaded. It will be in the crash notification dialog when you press "View problem details."

* Note that the line number may have changed since I downloaded the code last week. The line I'm talking about is at the bottom of the cleanupInThread method.
@lyceq said:
If you set a breakpoint there and press F8 a few times and don't crash, then I'd say that you're not experience this problem but a different one. Another good indicator is if the fault module name is OpanAL64.dll_unloaded. It will be in the crash notification dialog when you press "View problem details."

The "crash notification dialog" I get is call "Microsoft Windows" and has only one button "Close program". No "View problem details.". But setting a breakpoint where you said cause the program to crash right after that line, so I do have the same problem.