jSeamless Socket Test

I know this is incredibly off-topic for jME, but this is big project for me and since I spend so much time in these forums I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on how reliable this is.  I’m trying to determine how many people will be able to connect out from a socket without getting firewalled.

http://pyramex.com/jseamless/

I’ve currently got two mechanisms for communication: SocketConnection and HTTPConnection. It will fall-back to HTTPConnection if SocketConnection fails in the final version, but this version is just a SocketConnection to see how many people can use it.

Any feedback is appreciated.  Particularly if you have problems please tell me what version of Flash you’re running, Browser, and OS.

Thanks guys. :wink:

I like it! You know how I feel about this project but I must say the results are nice.

Only noticed 3 problems.

If you go to examples -> screenshots, it tries to open a popup. Popups are evil and blocked here, so I can't see them

The mouse wheel doesn't scroll things, might be a flash issue and not yours, but it's anoying

And if you set a nickname, then chat, then untick the box, the scroll window for the chat text always goes to the top, instead of the bottom, so I can't see anything

But the page was displayed, which I think was what you wanted checking :slight_smile:

Endolf

Yeah, the popup issue is a problem I haven't come up with a good solution for yet…I don't want to navigate away from the site but I'm not sure I want to embed a browser instance in the application when people click on external links.

The mouse wheel is something I'm working on.  Apparently it is an issue with Flash.  I can make it work if I change an option but then I lose my right-click support (which I can't do without) so I've got a bug report in to Adobe trying to get this resolved.

The checkbox needs further explanation I guess.  The purpose of the CheckBox there is to lock or unlock the vertical scroll position.  If it's checked it will always be at the bottom.  It just happens to be right beside the nickname field though so it makes it look related.  I was hoping I could get away with that. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback. :slight_smile:

some keys are not working for me (german layout)

interesting…like typing in chat the characters don't appear?

yes, the display takes the US representation of the keyboard.

I set my keyboard to German and Arabic both took the representations and made them the US keyboard interpretation of the same keys

just now when I did the test the umlaut o (

i only had problems with some characters, most of them obtained by pressing shift+<some key>. so i couldn't manage to type ":" because it's shift+. even " was a problem (shift+2): i got an @ instead. and it's not just these two.

I'll have to look into the keyboard support flash has to figure out what's going on…I'm assuming it's a problem in the Flash VM.

At work I got:

0: Error:  (5)

Using Firefox 2.0.0.3 with Flash 9 on Windows XP SP 2

Wow…that gives me absolutely nothing to go by.  :stuck_out_tongue:

Does it just perpetually show a clock cursor and a white screen?

The "same" post:  :smiley:

Same error here: A window (a neat one) with 0: Error:  (5) on it, after a minute or two with the clock in the mouse

Windows XP SP2, Firefox 2.0.03, Flash 9, and corporative firewall.

Same on IE7, in the same system.

Same again in Safari of a Mac Os 10.4 (in the same network).

Hope it helps.

darkfrog said:

Wow...that gives me absolutely nothing to go by.  :P
Does it just perpetually show a clock cursor and a white screen?

At least here, no, the cursor changes to normal, and a window is shown. The cursor even becomes the "beam" one (the one is used for text things) when hovering the text area that shows the error. Window's title is "logging", BTW.

Aha, I bet it is the firewall issue.  That's exactly why I put this test up to determine how many people would not be able to use the socket connection because of a firewall. :slight_smile:

I will have a fall-back to HTTP communication if the socket connection fails before this is released, so this isn't really a problem.

Thanks for the help.

A pleasure.

darkfrog said:

You mean you don't know what error codes your app is pumping out?  :-o

I'm shocked!
Gentleman Hal said:

darkfrog said:

You mean you don't know what error codes your app is pumping out?  :-o

I'm afraid that this is Flash/Flex bailing out rather bad.

Actually it was a poorly handled error on my part having to do with Socket connection issues (I can reproduce it if I tell it a bogus port to connect to).  In my local build I've fixed this so it will revert to HTTP communication now, so when I get a new build up I'll let you know.  The next build will probably be the first release of the site though.

It kept telling me I needed to install Flash, and I did, over and over again in both IE6 and Maxthon browsers. I suppose its this computer I'm on that sucks.