(July 2014) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Part of a new (non open source) thing I’m working on…

More info later if things start to pan out… still experimenting with a few directions at the moment.

8 Likes

I’m working on a 2D space game but with 3D graphics and currently I have an infinite starfield which uses my custom paging method and the jME integrated particle emitters.

Next I will add solar systems and planets you can visit which will perhaps be in the style of Terraria.

5 Likes

Man I love these threads, I remember when we started out with jME3 people complained its not possible to do proper games with it… =D Great stuff @all

3 Likes

@pspeed, that looks good compared to mine! Your marching cubes terrain along with your procedurally generated trees really make the scene pop! :smiley:

Gameprogress is not as far as i hoped it will be… but finishing the exams is of higher priority :wink:

8 Likes

hi

my first game in work

• multiuser (60% ready)
  • quest / event (ready)
  • changable cloth and weapon (code is ready, but must build mandy 3D objects)
  • shop (ready)
  • chat (ready)
  • different maps and levels (code is ready, but must build 3D maps and parts)
  • different player types and skills (60% ready)
  • weather system (rain, snom, wind, flash, night / day) (ready)
  • character statistic (power, health, damage …) (ready)
  • effect system (ready)
  • group / gilde system (ready)
  • pvp (50% ready)
  • Ai, pathfinding, steering … (50% ready)
  • dynamic Vegetation (ready)
  • miniMap / Radar (ready)

in the moment i work on 3D grafics, light, shadows, 3D textures…
I am not a grafic profi, so i must learn by doing.

16 Likes
@.Ben. said: @pspeed, that looks good compared to mine! Your marching cubes terrain along with your procedurally generated trees really make the scene pop! :D

Thanks! The irony is that the far terrain in that scene is only a height map… and if I don’t properly take advantage of the marching cubes to the near terrain I may convert it to a height map also (right now it could be as there is only elevation)… and save a lot of triangles. Still, for up close, the marching cubes definitely adds a lot of detail that a straight height map version would miss… even though the marching cubes is only working with elevation right now.

I plan to perturb the local terrain with a fractal but the terrain is already great for the game I want to make and triangle count is my only worry at the moment. I’d almost rather have 3x the trees and grass and leave the terrain as a height map.

We’ll see.

Looks like these kicked the thread activity again. Lots of cool looking stuff coming!

@pspeed said: Thanks! The irony is that the far terrain in that scene is only a height map... and if I don't properly take advantage of the marching cubes to the near terrain I may convert it to a height map also (right now it could be as there is only elevation)... and save a lot of triangles. Still, for up close, the marching cubes definitely adds a lot of detail that a straight height map version would miss... even though the marching cubes is only working with elevation right now.

I plan to perturb the local terrain with a fractal but the terrain is already great for the game I want to make and triangle count is my only worry at the moment. I’d almost rather have 3x the trees and grass and leave the terrain as a height map.

We’ll see.

Looks like these kicked the thread activity again. Lots of cool looking stuff coming!

While I’m on the subject… do not underestimate the effect of decent atmospherics (part of SimFX):

Without:

With:

FFT based ocean waves with light scattering as described by Fabrice Neyret et al…
The atmospheric scattering is the same as I posted in the May screenshot thread.

Unfortunately my work is hitting the major obstruction that is not being able to render to a 3D texture. A majority of the computations required for the scattering and the ocean to work are being done on the CPU. This causes framerates to exist at an unusable level.
Still pretty.

8 Likes
@okelly4408 said: FFT based ocean waves with light scattering as described by Fabrice Neyret et al... The atmospheric scattering is the same as I posted in the May screenshot thread.

Unfortunately my work is hitting the major obstruction that is not being able to render to a 3D texture. A majority of the computations required for the scattering and the ocean to work are being done on the CPU. This causes framerates to exist at an unusable level.
Still pretty.

FYI: it’s better if you use a friendlier image hosting service like imgur… then your images will show up in your posts.

@pspeed said: FYI: it's better if you use a friendlier image hosting service like imgur... then your images will show up in your posts.
fixed?
@okelly4408 said: fixed?

Yep. Looks good.

@okelly4408
How about opencl for calculations? LWJGL already offers bindings for it, and it should allow an interoprating with the texture objects.

@Empire Phoenix said: @okelly4408 How about opencl for calculations? LWJGL already offers bindings for it, and it should allow an interoprating with the texture objects.
I started to just re-write it in plain LWJGL. Thanks for the suggestion though...I will definitely look into it.

played with adding proper shore lines and not putting the grass texture all the way underwater.

Now this looks like a good place for a frog to start his life:

Other pics in this album:

6 Likes
@pspeed said: played with adding proper shore lines and not putting the grass texture all the way underwater.

Other pics in this album:
Shore Lines - Album on Imgur

That looks so cool!

OMG! The site is back finally!.. it’s been down for like 24 hours straight :stuck_out_tongue: Couldn’t post this super duper awesome new feature I developped 2 days ago in the July WIP! Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you… the frogs!! :smiley:

:smiley: !!!

4 Likes

Hm we have frogs and we have a swamp in the post above ^^ Funny coincidence.

@Empire Phoenix said: Hm we have frogs and we have a swamp in the post above ^^ Funny coincidence.

I thought so too… since my game is about a frog. Thus the “Now this looks like a good place for a frog to start his life:” comment.

…it’s actually not a swamp. Just a kind of river there with a muddy bottom. Easier to see animated.

It loops poorly but here is an animated version: