(July 2018) Monthly WIP & Screenshot thread

Now with grip… much easier to shoot that way…

8 Likes

I’m working on a structure in my game, currently known as the “upgrade tower”. I made a model that lights up differently based on the current quest progress and the tower type, and now I’m working on the first quest, which requires the player to find the 3 missing orbs scattered around the tower

It’s still a work in progress since I’m only on quest 1 out of 5, but I just finished implementing entirely random spawn locations for each orb, as opposed to choosing between a handful of predefined spawn points.

Instead of using pre-determined spawns, I made a small loop that continuously casts rays, searching for a valid location that’s far enough from the tower. I made a debug state that visualizes each ray, and also un-culls the invisible physics barriers, so you can see it trying to find a valid location

It’s not a great image, but here’s an arial view showing the Ray debug state for ‘hiding’ the 3 orbs at 2 different towers.

So far it’s been working surprisingly well to pick a valid location that the player can reach every time, so I’m excited to use this as my go-to way of hiding key items.

15 Likes

Why spend time working on my game when I can waste a day waiting for 3D prints…

It’s just loose friction fit in this pic and the bottom doesn’t quite match the insides just yet… barely sits right as the top of the bottom piece needs a lot of cleanup.

Needs a lot of cleanup and a piece broke off. If I was to make this for actual cos-play I’d have to reprint some parts. For display, it needs a LOT of cleanup.

But still kind of cool.

Edit: The roll of black filament I was using ran out so I used gray instead of the new black roll… it didn’t even occur to me at the time that it would match the blender renders. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Nice shaders

1 Like

Today I’ve started working on a very simple particle system that uses instancing.
I’m planning to make it as close as possible to blender’s emitter.

180 000 Spherical particles

1800 Jaime particles

Physical particles

19 Likes

@RiccardoBlb
That’s a lot of monkeys!

What are your computer specifications by the way?

CPU intel i5-3350P 3.10GHz, GPU amd r9 270x 2gb , RAM 16GB ddr3 1600mhz. Quite outdated but still good enough for what i do.

1 Like

Working on a leaf / branch vertex shader for basic cheap “wind”, nothing that hasn’t been done a million times before:

The video flips between unshaded view with generated vertex colours, and final vertex shader.

My process loads the leaves mesh, then processes the verts to extract distance from core, distance from branch, branch thickness and a unique id. This data is then encoded to the vertex color, which the vertex shader uses to sway, shake and flap the leaves and branches, which is how I visualize leaves moving in the wind, in my head. Far from perfect but a good start.

24 Likes

Getting tutorial going … Getting close gentlemen!

15 Likes

You’re making a new tutorial for jME?

Seems clear from the screen shot that he means an in-game tutorial for his game.

Ah. Ok. Just misinterpreted it.

Edit: Oops, didn’t notice it’s already August. :sweat_smile:

1 Like