Just what is a BetterCharcterControl?

Hi everyone, and welcome back to:
stupid questions with MisterCavespider

I have read all Hello... tutorials about a month ago and I have been working on several projects in the meanwhile.
One thing I tried had to do with the physics. For some dark, unknown reason, I tried using RigidBodyControls (dynamically) on Mobs, instead of just some kinematic Control. This lead to the realisation:

Just what am I doing?

However, I haven’t cleaned this mess up yet.

Later, when searching stuff on this forum, I came across something called a BetterCharcterControl, I have never seen that before. I re-read the physics tutorials, but I haven’t found any information about it. I just assumed it was something the user created himself.
Nevertheless, I came across it again, and it seemed as it was from jme3.

Thus my question:
What is a BetterCharcterControl ?

The BetterCharacterControl is actually included in the engine.
It’s a RigidBodyControl (internally) that stays upright and has a capsule mesh for collision. It also has some methods like “setWalkDirection()” that are useful for building player or NPC objects.

https://davidb.github.io/sandbox_wiki_jme/jme3/advanced/walking_character.html#bettercharactercontrol

Can someone please update the wiki? Apart from that page, it isn’t mentioned anywhere.

I find old CharacterControl better, although it is deprecated. The BetterCharacterControl is supposed to be a working, but a very basic class which user should extend to customize it to their preferences.

Theres detailed javdoc for the BetterCharacterControl, just press Ctrl-Space on the variable.

So it’s just a non-deprecated Character Control?

Yes, and differently than the deprecated one, it is subject to forces like any other rigid body.

That’s exactly what I need.

Also please note that CharacterControl is deprecated on 3.0, but is “un-deprecated” on 3.1 :rolling_eyes:

1 Like