Keeping my promise to make tutorials!

I re-did the "setting_up_eclipse_to_build_jme" tutorial, a few fixes and improvement and a major format change.

The NEW:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=setting_up_eclipse_to_build_jme

The OLD:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=setting_up_eclipse_to_build_jme&rev=1164779005

What I recall doing:

• dropped a pointless screenshot
  • Fixed typos
  • Changed how to add the libraries to the build path (superior method now)
  • formatted it in a way that is consistent and easy to understand (to me anyhow)
  • added "Setting up Eclipse with JDK"
  • changed the test to TestTeapot instead of HelloWorld
  • added junit-4.1.jar as a jar to add since you do need if for some of jME

Is it easy to understand and what not?  I think its an improvement… don't think theres any bugs.

Overall I'm just looking for a "awesome, keep going!"

Nice, thanks a lot. It does look somewhat easier to understand.

"awesome, keep going!"

why do those thumbnails look so ugly? they don't look at all like the actual images. does the wiki generate them?

don't get me wrong gaheris, i'm not criticizing you. i'm just wondering what happened and what can be done.

Um, thanks but I'm afraid I'm neither responsible for the good (and/or bad) you've seen in the article 'cause I haven't touched it at all (apart from viewing it).  :wink:

If you want to blame someone (YOU SHALL NOT!  }:-@), blame the author: EmperorLiam

i mixed up the nick names, so what? :stuck_out_tongue:

Lets burn him!!!  }:-@

hey! that's what always say! i just forgot to copyright it!

btw: some say that you can measure the level of insanity of a person depending on how many exclamation marks they use at once :slight_smile:

Yeah the Wiki generates the thumbnail, doesn't matter if I make them larger, they still look funky.  So I figured I might as well make them all 50x30.

Is it actually generating thumbnails or is it just forcing the full scale image into a tiny space via the html/css?

i think it's generating them because they look crappy in more than one browser.

I want to make a better tutorial "theme", can I have your thoughts?

Example step / No theme:

Step 9: To add ODEJava to jMEPhysics2, right-click the jMEPhysics2 project → Properties → Libraries tab → Add Library… → User Library → Next → User Libraries… → New… In the pop-up enter ODEJava, click OK → Add JARs…, browse to jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib/  and select odejava-jni.jar → Open. Expand odejava-jni.jar and select Native library location → Edit… → Workspace… → expand to jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib → OK → OK → OK. Now check ODEJava and click Finish.

Current theme:

Step 9:  To add ODEJava to jMEPhysics2, right-click the jMEPhysics2 project → Properties → Libraries tab → Add Library… → User Library → Next → User Libraries… → New….  In the pop-up enter ODEJava, click OK → Add JARs…, browse to jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib/ and select odejava-jni.jar → Open.  Expand odejava-jni.jar and select Native library location → Edit… → Workspace… → expand to jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib → OK → OK → OK.  Now check ODEJava and click Finish.

Logical Numbered step theme:

Step 9: 

Add ODEJava to jMEPhysics2:

1. right-click the jMEPhysics2 project → Properties → Libraries tab → Add Library…
  2. User Library → Next → User Libraries… → New…
  3. Set Library name to  ODEJava → OK → Add JARs…
  4. Browse to jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib/ → odejava-jni.jar → Open
  5. Expand odejava-jni.jar → Native library location → Edit… → Workspace… →
  6. Expand to jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib → OK → OK → OK, check ODEJava and click Finish.

Short theme:

Step 9:

Project → Properties → Libraries tab → Add Library → User Library + Next → User Libraries → New → enter ODEJava + OK →  Add JARs → open jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib/odejava-jni.jar → expand odejava-jni.jar → Edit Native library location  → enter jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib + OK → OK → OK → check ODEJava → Finish

Descriptive theme:

Step 9:  Create a new User Library named ODEJava, add the odejava-jni.jar to it, and set its Native library location to jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib/

Descriptive + short theme:

Step 9:  Create a new User Library named ODEJava, add the odejava-jni.jar to it, and set its Native library location to jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib/

Project → Properties → Libraries tab → Add Library → User Library + Next → User Libraries → New → enter ODEJava + OK →  Add JARs → open jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib/odejava-jni.jar → expand odejava-jni.jar → Edit Native library location  → enter jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib + OK → OK → OK → check ODEJava → Finish

Descriptive + numbered short theme:

7. jMEPhysics2 Project → Properties → Libraries tab → Add Library → User Library + Next → User Libraries → New
  8. Enter ODEJava + OK →  Add JARs → open jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib/odejava-jni.jar
  9. Expand odejava-jni.jar → Edit Native library location  → enter jMEPhysics2/impl/ode/lib + OK → OK → OK → check ODEJava → Finish

I will have thumbnails/screenshots below each as well… Descriptive + Screenshots might be best.  Keep the tutorial length down and also help total newbs to Eclipse get through it.

EmperorLiam said:

Oh, I don't like how jME Physics 2 looks in my code or in general, I'd prefer a single word name.  So jMEPhysics2 was my first thought, but now I'm leaning towards jMEphysics2...  your thoughts?

The name is "jME Phyiscs 2", module name is "jmephysics". I'd recommend to choose one from those for uniformity. It's up to you to choose names for your local config, though...

(nevermind)

Hmmm…something on your mind llama? :wink: