Keyframe animations

Hi

We use simple keyframe animations in our 3D scene. The scene is exported from Blender and as we updated to JME 1.0 we noticed that the JME XML-format that we use is deprecated. What would be the easiest way to get the keyframe animations exported from Blender or similar software? Or do we have to use armatures with new JME versions?

I don't think it's a big deal, however it would be even better if you worked on adding an XMLImporter/Exporter that extender Importer/Exporter instead as that would be a ton more useful.

You can use either of the quake formats (md2 or md3) for keyframe, aka morph target animation. If you prefer the old xml format (as I do), you can either package the old xml loading classes in a new library to use with jME 1, or you could convert the models using jME 0.11, save them in jME binary format, and then load that in jME 1.

(If you are interested, I could set up a google code project with the old xml->binary classes and the blender exporter)

HTH

I would prefer the old XML-format. The google code project sounds nice, we could have a single repository where we could maintain the XML-format, blender exporter and the xml to binary converter.

If the developers don't object, I'll create a google code project then, license "New BSD", containing the old XML/Binary converter classes as well as my Blender xml exporter. In fact, I already created the project, but will schedule it for deletion if any of you devs has any problem with that.

(Sorry for not asking before I created the project, I somehow thought there'd be some setting to make a project inaccessible to the public in google code, but apparently I was wrong there.)

renanse said:

I don't think it's a big deal, however it would be even better if you worked on adding an XMLImporter/Exporter that extender Importer/Exporter instead as that would be a ton more useful.

And about ten tons more work :) The blender xml exporter would have to be rewritten to work with the new format, and unfortunately I don't have time for that right now. But I'll look into it soon, to see what can be done in a reasonable amount of time. I'd really like to have a http blender->jME interface, so artists can be spared all the "press export button, enter filename, load that file into a jME model viewer" hassle in their workflow. That would be really easy to do while already working on a new blender xml exporter...

I tried the conversion with JME 0.11 but when I try to read the binary file I get following error:

java.io.IOException: Not in GZIP format

at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.readHeader(GZIPInputStream.java:132)

at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(GZIPInputStream.java:58)

at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(GZIPInputStream.java:68)

at com.jme.util.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:91)

at com.jme.util.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:184)

at com.jme.util.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:179)

The file is probably in the old binary format then - just save the imported scene using the new BinaryExporter class, that should work. Also, here's the link to the google code project I set up:

http://code.google.com/p/jmexml/

Thanks, now I got it working  :smiley: