Landscape looking boring

not really a jmonkey related problem, but i didn’t find a category matching better.

this is a part of my landscape. flowers and grass aren’t visible at big distances, and that leaves us with this:

it has:

• texture splatting
  • a lightmap (it's more a shadow map)
  • lighting
  • fog

but still looks like shit. what could i do to improve open spaces like this one?

You don't improve open spaces, you remove them.

What about massive flesh eating birds that are constantly swarming so you never have time to even consider the view?  :stuck_out_tongue:

You just need a colormap, blended with splatting. A huge texture, stretched even more, which adds to the variability of the terrain color, and hides the repeating pattern of splatting. Colormap comes first, splatting is an extra (IMO).

how about creating some (better visible) corn fields and a few barns and stuff.

And of course a few friendly griffins flying around.

i do have a colormap, it just has been replaced by splatting in HQ mode :wink:

@momoko: can i apply a colormap as a lightmap using your terrainpass or will this lead to the collapse of our known universe?

What about massive flesh eating birds that are constantly swarming so you never have time to even consider the view?

can't do it here, this is where the game starts and you are supposed to learn the basics.
HamsterofDeath said:

not really a jmonkey related problem, but i didn't find a category matching better.
this is a part of my landscape. flowers and grass aren't visible at big distances, and that leaves us with this:

Instead of removing flowers and grass, replace them. Use some bitmaps that only look good at this distance. Let some animals move around or flying flowers.

You should be able to use another lightmap, but it's not supported by TerrainPass, only SplatEnv. Either way, what I said in my post still counts.

i guess i will add what came to me in a dread today