Language Learning Game

Kanji-Ateoni (that means "Chinese-character-catching") is a language learning game, mainly for Japanese or Chinese. However it could be used to learn other alphabets / symbols as well. The game is far from complete (game menu, sound etc is missing), but I'm interested in your comments. Sources are included.

http://rapidshare.com/files/9771887/kanjigame.zip.html

Size: ~ 5.5MB

The gameplay is very simple: There are "bots" with various Kanji / letters/ symbols moving around in the level (no AI). You get the definition/pronunciation of one of these Kanji / letters/ symbols and must touch the right one while avoiding the others.

BTW: I found out that I have a memory leak. In the new version I was able to reduce the problem (thanks to shingoki), but I could not completely solve it, so after about 15 min the game ends with an OutOfMemory exception. I'm still investigating…

I played it but something happened with unicode or charset, because I only saw square boxes instead of katakana (typically when the character is unrecognized)

Nice play action, can i suggest you have a splash screen to explain the rules before play starts

@quixote_arg : Sorry, the font "Arial Unicode MS" is required (I mention it somewhere in the Readme). You can either activate the "asian language support" (or similar) in your windows, then the font will be installed, or you google for the font (it's there, I just doesn't remember the link)

@theprism: Thanks :)  Currently I focus on the raw game, but of course I plan to add help, game options etc

I host the project now on Google Code:

http://code.google.com/p/kanjiateoni/

The final game will have the name “Kanji Tori”, even if you find the old “kanji Ateoni” everywhere (both mean something like “Kanji catching”). In the subversion trunk are currently the sources only, I’ve to think about where to include the other files (be nice to me, I do this for the first time).

Excellent :slight_smile: I tried to get it from the other site, and I just got a general page for rapidshare.

It looks great, plays nicely as well, I like the idea of hunting the blocks down, but I can never remember kana so I am pretty bad at it. I particularly like the particle effect when you get one wrong and respawn. Makes me want to try to learn kana again :slight_smile: The only thing is that the mouse up/down axis seems to be backwards, I would normally have it the other way round in an FPS game.

I had a few problems running on Linux, but it ran fine when I used my existing native lib directory, and renamed the sky box textures to ".png" instead of ".PNG". I'd be very glad to test releases on Linux for you if you don't have a machine available.

Excellent :) I tried to get it from the other site, and I just got a general page for rapidshare.

The rapidshare layout is terrible. You have to scroll down and press the "Free" button...

The only thing is that the mouse up/down axis seems to be backwards, I would normally have it the other way round in an FPS game.

Sorry, my preference is "inverted". I'll provide a keymap and make it configurable.

I had a few problems running on Linux, but it ran fine when I used my existing native lib directory, and renamed the sky box textures to ".png" instead of ".PNG".

I'll make sure to use everywhere lowercase in the game and for the textures. Cool that you got it running on Linux!

I'd be very glad to test releases on Linux for you if you don't have a machine available.

Thanks, that would be nice.

Further plans (more or less in this order):
- more abstraction (using interfaces etc), which makes extending and modifying easier
- configuration: key maps, game preferences etc
- sound and better look
- performance optimization
- more "content": levels and data files
- help and documentation
- start a website, sell the website to google and use the money to get an evil overlord (who punishes people by teaching them Japanese - or GERMAN!!!)

...oops, please forget the last thing...

KanjiTori Version 0.3 is out.

Sorry, rapidshare again, I was not able to upload to Google Code…

http://rapidshare.com/files/18080440/kanjitori_0_3.zip.html

See readme.html for everything else…

Nice …

did you discover where your memory leak was, i have same issues at the moment …