Leap Motion + JMonkeyEngine?

With the release of Leap Motion I am curious if JMonkey will work with the SDK? I haven’t tried it out yet, but curious if anyone else has?

Will update when I start playing around with the SDK. It’s a Jar File, so I honestly do not see why it would not work :).

Its a HID device, so why not?

Leap Motion looks cool, if it works like it says on the box =) I’ll be interested in your findings!

http://openleap.org/

Check it out XD

1 Like

Neat stuff.

I watched one of the related videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWFnKeaQSjo&feature=player_embedded

…just watching it made my arm tired. Having been dabbling (hobby to professional) in VR for the last 15+ years or so, it is really interesting to see some of these newer technologies. It seems like outside of VR, something like this will get extremely tedious and tiresome, though. There is a reason we all lay our arms on the desk while using the mouse…

At one time, I had a USB joystick that could be used holding it in the air (ie: without its base). This was kind of nice for standing in front of a 12 foot screen and navigating but once you sat back at a desk, the first thing you did was put it back on the base.

It will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with something particularly useful to do with these new toys.

<cite>@pspeed said:</cite> It will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with something particularly useful to do with these new toys.
Apparently some ppl work on a blender plugin, to make object manipulation and sculpting more interesting. Also i saw a video where some med school kid was performing a virtual simulation of a surgery, with leap; saying that, sounds really dumb, but still.
@Setekh said: Apparently some ppl work on a blender plugin, to make object manipulation and sculpting more interesting. Also i saw a video where some med school kid was performing a virtual simulation of a surgery, with leap; saying that, sounds really dumb, but still.

A blender plugin could be interesting. I suspect it will be as frustrating as it is enticing… but still might be useful. I think it would be best for coarse grained stuff, maybe… like putting down objects and stuff in a level.

I guess surgical simulation on the cheap would be ok. I think you’d really want to be holding an instrument/scalpel… even better if it has force feedback. Pretty sure they already have stuff like this or its on the way, though. I can’t be bothered to look it up, though. :slight_smile: I can imagine them being pretty expensive.

I’m starting creation of an app I cannot disclose, but it will surely be extremely helpful in the medical field. I’m going to start using JMonkey with it at first and see how it goes, so I will definitely represent and show off JMonkey with Leap when that time comes.

1 Like
@Setekh said: Apparently some ppl work on a blender plugin, to make object manipulation and sculpting more interesting. Also i saw a video where some med school kid was performing a virtual simulation of a surgery, with leap; saying that, sounds really dumb, but still.
I'd love an open source take on what these guys are doing: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/02/20/media-molecule-lets-gamers-sculpt-in-3d/