Let's discuss jMonkeyEngine 3.3!

Wait! @pspeed integrated a PR, and now I’m seeing an amber disc in the GitHub commit history. Fingers crossed…

Yeah, for some reason, old messages are now coming through on the slack feed… so I wonder if something was log-jammed somewhere.

1 Like

Both tagged commits have now been tested, but deployment was skipped both times:
Travis CI - Test and Deploy Your Code with Confidence
Travis CI - Test and Deploy Your Code with Confidence

I plan to try again after lunch.

GitHub may still be confused: it’s showing an amber-colored disc for commit 6a71a1c and saying that checks haven’t completed, even though Travis says they have. I’ll check back in an hour or 2.

The JDK11 build is broken, but this time we got some deployment, I think. @pspeed, what do your elf eyes see?

I just published 166 artifacts that were waiting.

2 Likes

The alpha2 release is available from BinTray:
Version jme3-core/3.3.0-alpha2 - jmonkeyengine

7 Likes

already using it, and seems it work fine :slight_smile:

immidietly checked PBR AmbientLight, and it works perfect, nice.

private server repo proxy already cached it too.(better to have, than like jBullet source issues later ;))

thanks!

1 Like

Thank you, guys. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

recently i asked @pspeed how to do normal intensity for normalmaps.

NormalType can be misleading for some people who dont know what it is. i also thought its intensity before, while having NormalIntensity would allow change true intensity and and fix misleading of understanding NormalType param.

Why not just add it into JME Materials, at least for PBR?

code is simple and do not slow down rendering if not used.

Still it was told its not fully correct way, but tools like Blender or other engines i seen thare are “strength” or “intensity” so why not in JME. if need some fixes in below code, then could be done too. (because im not sure why need /= instead of *= because it work opposite.

in fragment shader add:

#if defined(NORMAL_INTENSITY)
    normal.z /= m_NormalIntensity;
    normal = normalize(normal);
  #endif

in

// ***********************
// Read from textures
// ***********************
#if defined(NORMALMAP)
  vec4 normalHeight = texture2D(m_NormalMap, newTexCoord);
  //Note the -2.0 and -1.0. We invert the green channel of the normal map, 
  //as it's complient with normal maps generated with blender.
  //see http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/parallax-mapping-fundamental-bug/#post-256898
  //for more explanation.
  vec3 normal = normalize((normalHeight.xyz * vec3(2.0, NORMAL_TYPE * 2.0, 2.0) - vec3(1.0, NORMAL_TYPE * 1.0, 1.0)));
  #if defined(NORMAL_INTENSITY)
    normal.z /= m_NormalIntensity;
    normal = normalize(normal);
  #endif
  normal = normalize(tbnMat * normal);
  //normal = normalize(normal * inverse(tbnMat));
#else
  vec3 normal = norm;
#endif

also add

uniform float m_NormalIntensity;

and in material definition file

Float NormalIntensity : 1.0

and

Defines {     
        NORMAL_INTENSITY: NormalIntensity

@Ali_RS, maybe you could prepare some commit/pull request to make it easier? i dont have master JME to do so.

here some screens that it work fine:

normalintensity1 normalintensity2

it even allow easier debug of normals (intensity increase intensity for any face direction, not just front)

For feature requests, please open an issue at GitHub
Issues · jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine · GitHub
and/or create a new “Development” topic at this Forum
https://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/c/development-discussion-jme3

Unless there are objections, I plan to cut a v3.3.0-alpha3 release of the Engine sometime in the coming week.

But first, there are issues to fix and PRs to integrate…

9 Likes

Yes, one such PR which I hope it shows up in next release is GLES 3 support which seems almost ready. (thanks to @joliver82 and @RiccardoBlb )

2 Likes

btw, I keep updating the important change logs @nehon created for 3.3 on the Google Doc.

4 Likes

Thank you. I’ve linked that document from the 3.3.0-alpha1 and -alpha2 release descriptions.

2 Likes

3.3.0-alpha3 is rapidly coming together:

11 Likes

How soon can this be finished?

Once again, Travis-CI believes a tagged commit “is not a tagged commit.” But I think alpha3 is now up at Bintray. I’ll double-check after dinner.

I don’t see anything to approve yet.

I now have access to the approval button. I think I beat you it.

1 Like