Lexicon – Improved destruction!

Small update:
I finished stress testing, including an optional effect for shading close-to-collapse parts closer to red, and safer parts closer to blue. I’ll probably end up making this a useful armor addition, so that if you have it you can visualize the stress of the building and know where to avoid going. I’m REALLY happy with how it came out, and because of the way I wrote it, there’s almost no impact on performance whatsoever.
I also profiled it a bit and found some lag-inducing components in the player code, and rewrote some of it. So far I’m pretty proud of it. Next I’ll be (re)working on synchronizing destruction on servers. That’ll be FUUUUUUUN. >.>

In the mean time, I’m modeling a nice house that’s fully destructible. It’ll be the show-off video. It’ll actually be a nice house, textured, lit, and all.

1 Like
@vinexgames said: (...) It'll be the show-off video. It'll actually be a nice house, textured, lit, and all.
Weee! :D

@erlend_sh yep! I SHOULD have some screenshots of it tonight, if working on it goes well. It’s gonna be a pretty simple, two story house.

I’m also (after the showoff video) rewriting the weapon customization stuff for a few reasons:

1. To support customizable armor
  2. To support attachments to weapons
  3. To be more informative
  4. To look fancier
  5. More general customization
  6. Because I don’t like it right now.

Stay tuned for random small updates!

1 Like

Small update:
+Added per-geometry texturing for buildings
+Added more customizing commands to buildings

Now, when you create a building, you can optionally model it to point to specific materials per geometry. It’s pretty simple, you just name the material applied to the model whatever material you want it to find, i.e. if you create a material called “Material1”, then anything with that material will look into “MyMap/Buildings/Material1.j3m” for the material. This will be a MASSIVE help in getting good texture coordinates without stretching out materials and losing quality.

New customizing options:
If you add “_L” to an object, it denotes that this object has a point light attached. Default color is white, with a range of 5.0F.
If you add “_D” to an object, it denotes that this object should just disappear when it’s fractured. This is useful for small chunks of wall, ledges, etc.

I’ll probably have a good screenshot of the house for the demo tonight, or tomorrow if I end up making more code changes.

Edit:

Also… who gave me the +1 for this? To whomever it was:

1 Like