LifeBars nifty

@t0neg0d said: I think that is a general assumption about everyone unless stated otherwise (this is a joke)
Take a look at 1.2, maybe you like that ^^

I took Erlend’s stance on Nifty from a post he wrote in a forum.
Not sure from when that was. Just go and ask him if you want to know for sure :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@toolforger said: I took Erlend's stance on Nifty from a post he wrote in a forum. Not sure from when that was. Just go and ask him if you want to know for sure ;-P
Lol, you somehow seem to have a funny conception of how the jME team and communication looks ^^ I somehow feel like saying "nice try" but I can't exactly explain why ;P The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there’s emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

This stuff about personal and behavioural issues is now really getting too far off-topic.

@toolforger said: I took Erlend's stance on Nifty from a post he wrote in a forum. Not sure from when that was. Just go and ask him if you want to know for sure ;-P

As Normen hints, we already know for sure. So you must have misread or misunderstood. It would be tough for us to go back through all of his posts and try to figure out which one you misread or misunderstood.

Dunno, maybe Erlend loves it now and hated it earlier. Maybe he loved it and hates it now. Maybe I was misreading something - I just remember that I was mildly surprised to see him use explicit and strong language about anything.
I have tried to google his post, but I didn’t find it, so I guess we’ll have to leave it at that.

Just for the record, and because somehow it hasn’t been mentioned: Does he love it? Hate it? Indifferent?

@toolforger said: Dunno, maybe Erlend loves it now and hated it earlier. Maybe he loved it and hates it now. Maybe I was misreading something - I just remember that I was mildly surprised to see him use explicit and strong language about anything. I have tried to google his post, but I didn't find it, so I guess we'll have to leave it at that.

Just for the record, and because somehow it hasn’t been mentioned: Does he love it? Hate it? Indifferent?

Erlend is not really a coder. He manages the project and evangelizes JME and its contributions as well as many other wonderful things. I can’t 100% speak for him but I doubt he loves or hates nifty in any way beyond that it is a useful project for the community and helps many users build robust GUIs. If you saw him speak out strongly against it then someone hacked his account or your meds were badly adjusted that day. :wink:

So you must be thinking of someone else. Erlend doesn’t post here all that often (as compared to some of us) so it should be easy to go back through his posts and figure out which one you were confused about… or which day his account was hacked. :wink:

Heh. I probably misattributed one of Madjack’s post then.
Still… I’m not so sure about the robustness of Nifty. I did have a lot of breakage when stress-testing the limits, and when following the commit log of Nifty, I see all kinds of outrage getting fixed.
Nifty can do all kinds of glitz very easily, and if you need that, it’s a perfect solution, but you don’t need glitz for life bars (just to finally get back on topic :-)).

@toolforger said: Heh. I probably misattributed one of Madjack's post then. Still... I'm not so sure about the robustness of Nifty. I did have a lot of breakage when stress-testing the limits, and when following the commit log of Nifty, I see all kinds of outrage getting fixed. Nifty can do all kinds of glitz very easily, and if you need that, it's a perfect solution, but you don't need glitz for life bars (just to finally get back on topic :-)).

re: Madjack, that would make a LOT more sense. :slight_smile:

I’m not defending nifty at all. There is no denying that plenty of people make cool looking GUIs with it. There is also no denying that plenty of otherwise smart people struggle with it.

1 Like

I’ve had more pressing things on my mind than clearing my nifty-hating name, but for the record:

I don’t recall explicitly saying anything straight up negative about Nifty GUI, and it’s even more unlikely that I bluntly said “hate”. At most, I can only imagine that I’ve admitted to some of Nifty GUI’s flaws, because it obviously has it, like any WIP does, and Jens is working on it.

Don’t back up your statements with someone’s perceived general stance. In the (hopefully rare) case that you have to rely on others’ opinions to support your arguments, at least apply real, linked quotes so we know what particular statement is being referred to.

4 Likes