Lightspeed Frontier Videos

But of course, here you go :smile: The zip file contains the mesh and a texture I used with higher opacity so it’s more visible. The one I actually use is so transparent you almost can’t see it with an image editor. I’d suggest you adjust it to your preference.

Also see here for more info:

Check here and tell me if you still have any questions:

I thought this might interest you! :smiley: Yes the mass should indeed increase, but I read somewhere that changing an object’s mass in Bullet isn’t quite possible so I figured I’d need to reattach the physicscontrol to the physics space to do it and I didn’t even try it out. What I did was override the applyCentralForce method and made it calculate added forces with the lorentz factor. So the engine “fuel consumption” stays the same, they only produce less thrust.

Thank you for reminding me about it though, I’ll test if one can increase object mass in a simple way right now.

Also all engines in the game run on electricity produced by the ship reactors and don’t actually use any propellant. At first I thought about having them be some sort of fusion rockets or a vasimr, but now they appear to all be the phantom microwave engines pushing onto the quantum vacuum. Or something. [insert technobable here]

Note that you are asking about fuel consumption in a game where ships have no rcs thrusters and rear facing engines make the ship go backward if needed :stuck_out_tongue: .

Yeah well it’s always a trade of between realism and gameplay which is why no planets actually have gravity here, only the black holes currently attract ships as the trope requires it. I like to be as realistic as possible while the gameplay stays good, but often I have to sacrifice realism in order to make things play better. I just wanted to add relativity since it’s something I haven’t seen in any space game yet and was interested how it’d look and work.

I had some idea to implement red/blueshift too but I’m not competent enough in filters yet to attempt it.

They are damage textures overlayed over the diffuse map using mix in shaders. The problem of using any seamless effects is that almost all modules reuse their main texture a ton of times for higher resolution so everything would display on all sides of a cube for example. Otherwise I’d be using something like that one guy’s texture painting thing.

3 Likes