List of calls that must be made inside the OpenGL thread (wiki idea)

Many people, myself included, have been wondering what calls that need to be executed from the OpenGL thread. And since I couldn’t find a list of them anywhere I made a draft of a page on the wiki where they could hopefully be gathered. :slight_smile:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=what_calls_must_be_made_from_the_opengl_thread

Is this a good place for it?

The name is a little long perhaps?

What should it contain?

Right now I’ve added these 3 lists:

List of calls that must be made inside the OpenGL thread

List of calls that are safe and should not be added above

List of calls that should be examined and added to the right list

How should the calls be presented?

com.jme.renderer.Renderer.createCamera(…)

or

DisplaySystem.getDisplaySystem().getRenderer().createCamera(…)

(I assume the arguments are not important…)

And should there be links to the javadocs for each call?

I’ve added some calls already, but it is just my guesses so far as it’s just a draft and I haven’t verified any of them as safe or unsafe. Perhaps someone more familiar with jME internals could check that every call is in the right category before the page leaves draft status? Otherwise I’d have to move everything to the “should be examined” list…

[move]:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :smiley: jMonkeyEngine version 1.0 :smiley: :slight_smile: :)[/move]

This is such a simple and (I think) good idea.  This is often a huge source of confusion and frustration for people moving to StandardGame implementations.  Even if the devs are planning to address this down the line this could offer a way for them to have a huge part of the information gathering done ahead of time.

I think this could be a very useful reference - especially for the new crowd of people sure to hop on to jME with the 1.0 release.

Why not put the information in the javadocs?