Looking for some info

Hi,

I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to figure out which 3D engine to use with an android live wallpaper.

I guess some simple questions. Does JM3 support live wallpaper on Android?

Next, does JM3 support scene loading? Whats the 3d studio that is used? Custom, Blender, ?

Does it cache to internal/phone assets, or can it directly read from the APK assets (from a raw asset with out needing to cache)?

Thank you all for any help!

That’s a good point about the OpenGL ES support. It seems all the new phones have been supporting it, are there any phones that have been released in the last year or so without support?

@jeff said:
I guess some simple questions. Does JM3 support live wallpaper on Android?

I don't think anyone's done a live wallpaper project with jME3 yet, but it'd sure be interesting to see!

Based on the programming guide for it, it looks like you shouldn't have too much trouble adapting the AndroidHarness to work with it.

@jeff said:
Next, does JM3 support scene loading? Whats the 3d studio that is used? Custom, Blender, ?

There are a couple of different file formats supported, OGRE meshes being the best for the process. Blender has an exporter, there is also one available for Maya and 3ds.

@jeff said:
Does it cache to internal/phone assets, or can it directly read from the APK assets (from a raw asset with out needing to cache)?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. When you deploy the application to Android the assets get packed into the APK.

I think Andengine or Slick2d will be better for your purposes.

Or you can make your own framework with libGDX.

@mifth might I ask what is you reasoning ? (not having a go, very curious about droid dev)

well, to make a wallpaper with jme for android is not a good idea.

• not so many devices support openglES
  • jme takes much memory, as this is a 3d engine.

these are my thoughts.

well, possibly i’m wrong but these are my thoughts.