Lord of the Bones!

:?

Hi, still new to this world… i’m exploring it’s features, I was reading the ‘Complete Feature List’ in this site and I have some questions:

1- For the mesh importers from 3DS, Milkshape…etc to the JME, are we able to export predifined animations from one of these softwares to the JME?

if yes, then:

2- Does it support “Bone > Linear Deform > Mesh”?

3- is it a straight forward task? is there more than a way to export the character animation? for example: I animated a character using a bones system, made it Walk, Run, Jump. Would I be able to: Export the Each animation into a seperate file, OR combine all the animations into one file and then i specify the range of each animation in that file?

4- Is it possible to have this kind of animation stacking:

To animate each limb of a character separately, export the animations of each limb and proceduraly generate different motion styles by combining the motions of the limbs and the head?

5- Is it possible to rotate and translate any bone in the skeleton by scripting and not by predifined keys? For example, Suppose we are writing a small program that does the next: A- Decide the character’s will, It may want to walk, sit, jump… B- Virtual muscles responsible for a task should contract or flex to do the job, C- Balance system (Equevelant to the one we have inside our ears) Adds refinement and extra control to help the character to perform the movement correctly, D- Math: calculates the corresponding rotations and translations for the bones to produce the long awaited motion, E- Animate the character. Depending on the environmental conditions the character is in, and the virtual neural network (Muscle Memory + Balance System Memory) we can have a unique movement generated by the character itself, It looks scientific or sciencefictionest but the main question remains the same: Moving a bone by a script.

Thanx.

Hi, still new to this world… i’m exploring it’s features, I was reading the ‘Complete Feature List’ in this site and I have some questions:

1- For the mesh importers from 3DS, Milkshape..etc to the JME, are we able to export predifined animations from one of these softwares to the JME?

Yes.

2- Does it support "Bone > Linear Deform > Mesh"?

Bones are supported in ms3d. 3ds may give you problems trying to use bones in it with jme.

3- is it a straight forward task? is there more than a way to export the character animation? for example: I animated a character using a bones system, made it Walk, Run, Jump. Would I be able to: Export the Each animation into a seperate file, OR combine all the animations into one file and then i specify the range of each animation in that file?

The entire file is one animation. You can specify frames of the file though. So put walking on frames 0 - 10, run on 11-15, and so on.

4- Is it possible to have this kind of animation stacking:
To animate each limb of a character separately, export the animations of each limb and proceduraly generate different motion styles by combining the motions of the limbs and the head?

Possible yes, but you have to keep up with it all yourself. It's not built into the model loading.

5- Is it possible to rotate and translate any bone in the skeleton by scripting and not by predifined keys? For example, Suppose we are writing a small program that does the next: A- Decide the character's will, It may want to walk, sit, jump.. B- Virtual muscles responsible for a task should contract or flex to do the job, C- Balance system (Equevelant to the one we have inside our ears) Adds refinement and extra control to help the character to perform the movement correctly, D- Math: calculates the corresponding rotations and translations for the bones to produce the long awaited motion, E- Animate the character. Depending on the environmental conditions the character is in, and the virtual neural network (Muscle Memory + Balance System Memory) we can have a unique movement generated by the character itself, It looks scientific or sciencefictionest but the main question remains the same: Moving a bone by a script.

You can, but it will be very difficult to do correctly. I suggest you just make the animations in ms3d, export the file, and use the animations you need.

Thanx.