Low Memory

Hey all,

Recently while working on a machine with 8GB of ram, I keep getting low memory errors. Is the solution to simply change the config file to increase the virtual memory for the IDE?

Secondly, is this a common problem? Or should I be looking for a memory leak within my own code that could be causing this issue.

As a side note, I’ve been working ~8hrs a day on my JME project for about a month, and have found everyone on this forum really pleasant and helpful. Thanks for being an awesome community, and I look forward to (after having a year of two of JME chops under my belt) contributing whatever I can to this project in the future.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, you can change the memory settings according to your needs. Hard to say if its an issue, games can very well use a few gigabytes of memory. You have to discern between direct memory (textures, meshes etc.) and java heap memory (everything else basically) when you change the settings though. Also, the SDK should really only use direct memory for models you edit in the editors, your game itself has its own memory space when its run and you configure that in the project settings via command line options.

I do really miss the SDK button that let me manually run a GC on the SDK. Sometimes my SDK gets tied up for a while saying it can’t compile stuff because of low memory, etc. until it finally gets around to GCing itself.

Was that something we removed on purpose or was it part of an update that we have no control over?

@pspeed it’s been relocated at the bottom right corner of the window. but I think there is also something to check in the options to get it visible

@nehon said: @pspeed it's been relocated at the bottom right corner of the window. but I think there is also something to check in the options to get it visible

I don’t see it… but your response finally made me go look for it. All I had to do was right click on the toolbar and enable “Performance” and now it’s all back again. Silly me. :confused:

1 Like

Thanks! It’s nice to be able to keep an eye on that, and I haven’t run into any problems after I modified the config file, at least thus far.