Lowering JME hardware requirements

a last thing to try would be to use jPCT. it has a built in software renderer aswell as lwjgl for hardware rendering

If it's an audio-only game why not just go directly to OpenAL and forget OpenGL entirely?

bgilb said:

a last thing to try would be to use jPCT. it has a built in software renderer aswell as lwjgl for hardware rendering

Ah, so basically use another engine? Thanks, but it's already quite tied to JME. :(
darkfrog said:

If it's an audio-only game why not just go directly to OpenAL and forget OpenGL entirely?

Because I still need a scene graph for managing my objects, a physics layer, the audio layer which I've extended from nodes, some means of capturing input from keyboards/joysticks/mice, a GUI of some sort for the menu system, a nice and well-tested interface for abstracting functionality away from views (I.e. Controller...) Sure, I *could* write all this myself, but I'd rather write a game, not an engine. And, besides, with the exception of this one hurdle, JME has served my design quite nicely. Furthermore, trying to debug a completely physical environment audio-only is a pain.

What about using DummyDisplaySystem as an option for people who don't have the graphical requirements?  This should give you all the benefits to develop graphically and still allow people without good video cards to still use it…

LWJGL has a software rendering flag iirc, you might be able to set that up.  Try asking about that over in the lwjgl forums.