LWJGL 2.0 beta and performance gains

I just started playing around with LWJGL 2.0 beta. I don't have any hard evidence yet, but many of the jME test programs seem to run significantly faster (in some cases the frame rate appears to be more than double from LWJGL 1.1.4). I'm running a DELL XPS laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700.

That sounds great… almost to great though.

Are you using actual scenes or just the very simple type of thing with only a few triangles in it?

With the "old" LWJGL, did your FPS ever go over the max refresh rate of your display?

Yeah, if it's a real simple test, it won't be a great benchmark.

llama said:

Are you using actual scenes or just the very simple type of thing with only a few triangles in it?
With the "old" LWJGL, did your FPS ever go over the max refresh rate of your display?

I've been using the test cases in jME such as the multitexturing example. With that one I get a frame rate of around 330 with the pre-2.0 release and 480 use 2.0. For the Particle System test the frame rate is around 330, but with 2.0 it's around 480-510. For projected texture test, it goes from 87 to 230! The Terrain Pages test, it goes from 180 to 210 (only a slight improvement there). For the z-pass shadow volume test it goes from 32 to 41.

This might as well be a side effect of a changed timer accuracy (as those are high framerates)… but it seems it worth it to play with the beta :slight_smile: