LWJGL or JOGL?

It seems that JOGL allow you access to awt and swing classes as part of your 3d world (if used to create a game). As some dialouges/buttons etc are needed for any 3d world, the choices we have are somehow limited:

Create our own dialouges/buttons/listbox etc using lwjgl

Port to JOGL and use awt (however limited) to do this

Personally if JOGL port doesnt take long (and I am talking from the position of total lack of knowledge about such a port), I would like to see such a port happening. Any ideas, comments, suggestions …

tomcat

Porting to JOGL is definately a possibility. One that has been considered many times, the benefits (AWT/Swing, Mac OS X support) are pretty substantial. However, I do want to wait until it’s a bit more stable than it is right now. There are quite a few problems with Fullscreen. Another headache is JOGL only handles OpenGL. There would then have to be JOAL for sound and JInput for input. LWJGL handles all of it in a single package.

Currently, I hope to get an OpenGL GUI system in place before too long.

Perhaps I should think about making a pluggable interface where either LWJGL or JOGL can be used. This is in the future though, right now I’m more concerned about jME’s rendering system.

A pluggable interface between LWJGL/JOGL/JOAL would be a great idea in the long term, but if jme has its own GUI stuff it may not provide that much more & as you said you would be repeating stuff for sound/input which works fine in LWJGL.

I must admit I really like the idea of using swing/awt, but if JME has stuff which looks better & has most of the same functionality then I’m happy :slight_smile:

At the moment I think collision detection is a far more important step forward to concentrate on.

Agree and see the issues with JOGL. Pluggable interface is certainly good, but for now some easy ways to to be able to display some text on the screen (in a seperate window even if it is opengl) and accepting text input from users is going to be very very helpful 8) . I got to agree though that collision detection should be on top of the list at the moment.

tomcat

Ok, I think that will be the future plan, to allow for both JOGL/JOAL/JInput & LWJGL. Where the developer can choose which library to use. I’ll have to think about how best to go about doing this. As of LWJGL 0.7 they went pure static on all classes, which means calling LWJGL gl methods versus JOGL gl methods is different enough that it might be a headache. This will definately allow for a broader range of capabilities though.

take a look at what spaghetti can do now… read the last part of this thread… should be able to work anywhere (jogl, java2d, etc)

http://www.javagaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=share;action=display;num=1060816889

on a side note: imo, if you are writting a game, awt and swing just should not be used… they were made for application developement. cas did a nice job of making spaghetti work pretty much the same as awt and swing… you have buttons, checkboxs, scrollbars, panels, dialogs, etc and he uses listeners, etc. pretty neat.

i’m done promoting spag :smiley:

Very cool. I’ll take a look and decide whether to just make use of it as is (same as LWJGL) or get ideas from it. Depends on how easy it’d be to plug it as it is now.

Using AWT/Swing for games would not be wise I agree. However, it makes writing editors for those games much easier. Level editors etc.

"mojomonk" wrote:
Using AWT/Swing for games would not be wise I agree. However, it makes writing editors for those games much easier. Level editors etc.

i'd recommend writting editors and game tools in swing... its easier that way.

i actually wrote a few tools in swing for spgl and my level editor is a swing app :D but none of that code would make it in to the actual game.

Right, none of the editor code typically makes it into the game. However, it is very nice to have a renderer in your editor tool to allow for realtime feedback of the level you are editing.

"mojomonk" wrote:
Right, none of the editor code typically makes it into the game. However, it is very nice to have a renderer in your editor tool to allow for realtime feedback of the level you are editing.

very true
"nala-naj" wrote:
take a look at what spaghetti can do now... read the last part of this thread... should be able to work anywhere (jogl, java2d, etc)

http://www.javagaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=share;action=display;num=1060816889

i'm done promoting spag :D

I agree that putting awt in the game is not a good idea and like the "Spaghetti" code (ok not litteraly). But I dont seem to be able to check it out using Eclipse. Keep complaining about my user name (anonymous)! ANy ideas anybody :?

try guest.

tried that, still gives me "authentication error", incorrect user nameor password.

You’re right, it is anonymous. Not sure why it’s not working though. Maybe sourceforge is having issues.

eclipse always fails on spag for me too… i just use wincvs.

ps: here is how i grab it

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/spgl login
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/spgl checkout spgl
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/spgl checkout spgl-tools
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/spgl checkout Spaghetti

and i cant get it right now... sourceforge is a pos :D

Hi mojo

thanks for the advice which saved me hours of messing around with eclipse and wincvs. It seems to be a problem with sourceforge as eclipse works well with other repositories. Anyway, I tried it and it worked :slight_smile: .

tomcat

Hi Naj

Thanks for the advice on downloading spaghetti. I have managed that, but the docs are a bit poor and I am struggling :frowning: to get it to work let alone with JME. Any advice on how to go about it?

tomcat