Make $750 and help jMonkeyEngine at the same time!

A little over two weeks ago, @memonick wrote an excellent starter tutorial on jMonkeyEngine for GameDev Tuts+.

Now they’ve just announced a contest of sorts, but there can be more than one winner. It’s not really a contest, but since they’ll only accept one submission per engine it’s “first come first serve”, provided you submit quality work. They want you to port an existing XNA game & tutorial combo to the engine of your choice, and they will pay you $750 for your troubles! Read more about it here:

This would be an excellent opportunity for intermediate to advanced jME developers to put their skills to the test and earn money doing it. The jMonkeyEngine project would greatly benefit from the publicity and even more so from a working game example and tutorial, so you’d literally be doing the whole world a big favor.

Any serious takers should let us know here, because there’s a good chance we can help you out with guidance and feedback.

9 Likes

I’ll do it (the porting part), if you can convince Ruth to format it ;), and if we win, split the money. But i’m not dead set on this, so if someone else wants to do it, feel free

Edit: Actually when does this competition start? I’m moving next week and won’t have internet for a week or so after that

1 Like
@wezrule said: I'll do it (the porting part), if you can convince Ruth to format it ;), and if we win, split the money. But i'm not dead set on this, so if someone else wants to do it, feel free

GoodLuck man!

Would have contributed, but I’m sitting for an exam next week, and now seems like a good time to start studying :frowning: Good luck to whoever works on the port! Try and make it as simple (efficient) as possible so as to ‘sell’ jME!

@wezrule, it’s not really a competition - from what I can understand, there will be one port for every engine. The only ‘competition’ is if someone applies before you. You can still apply and work on it with internet, though. Just e-mail the editor and let him know. I’m sure he wouldn’t have any problems - he’s extremely understanding.

Hmm, it looks like sort of fun. If no-one jumps on it I might but as wez said if someone wants it go for it.

I clarified the post a bit. Shouldn’t have used the word “contest”.

@wezrule there’s no starting date. You do it as soon as you can. In other words, if you’re confident you can have it done before you’re gonna be off for a week, the gig could be yours. You better get in touch with @zathras asap though. If she’s not available for the doc part and you’re not up for it either then you gotta pass the torch :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m also waiting to find out how they intend to license the article and its accompanying code, which I’m hoping will be CC-BY and MIT respectively, that way we can copy the tutorial over to our wiki as well.

1 Like

ok thanks. Yeh that’s not gonna happen (torch passed to zarch)

Hello! Editor here. I just want to clarify a couple of things:

1. There's no time limit - we'll probably publish one port per month, so there's plenty of time!
  2. It's not first-come-first-served. We want to cover as many modern, suitable game engines as we can, but we also want to make sure that the tutorials are written from experience.
  3. The tutorial will not be CC-BY; it will be exclusive to Tuts+. The code can have a more permissive license, though - we usually go with BSD 2-Clause.

I’ll try to keep an eye on this thread, so let me know if you have any other questions!

3 Likes

Thanks for dropping by Mr. Editor man!

@Gamedevtuts said: Hello! Editor here. I just want to clarify a couple of things:

It’s not first-come-first-served. We want to cover as many modern, suitable game engines as we can, but we also want to make sure that the tutorials are written from experience.

Another bad phrasing on my part. What I meant is it’s first-come-first-served as far as making the jMonkeyEngine tutorial is concerned, because I’m assuming you wouldn’t accept more than one entry per engine, right?

Working on it.
Looks fun, and i’d like to test my current knowledge.
Gonnna post code here so people can take a look.

3 Likes
<cite>@erlend_sh said:</cite> Thanks for dropping by Mr. Editor man!

Another bad phrasing on my part. What I meant is it’s first-come-first-served as far as making the jMonkeyEngine tutorial is concerned, because I’m assuming you wouldn’t accept more than one entry per engine, right?

Oh, right. That’s true, but it doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll accept the first jMonkeyEngine submission that hits our inbox.

Well, there has been a lot of discussion going on since I first looked at the topic :smiley:

I actually started playing around with it when I first saw this post so… here is the coding of the first chapter in action:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J9uhFx_M_8[/video]

The other four chapter shouldn´t be THAT much more work.
btw, I call it “MonkeyBlaster” :wink:

<cite>@toolforger said:</cite> Working on it.

Are you still interested in doing it?

2 Likes

Hell yes I’m still interested, you beat me to the first chapter :slight_smile:
I blame it on having to debug my internet connection first. Some idiot put a Belkin router at the same IP as the DSL modem :-x

I have some code but I’m mostly in project set-up. If you like we can collaborate, otherwise I’ll simply continue.

<cite>@toolforger said:</cite> Hell yes I'm still interested, you beat me to the first chapter :-)

Yes I did! :stuck_out_tongue:

<cite>@toolforger said:</cite> If you like we can collaborate

Yup, I´m in :slight_smile:
The money, I assume, would be shared, of course.

But who will do what parts?
I could do the programming alone and you write the tutorial.
I’d have no issue with writing the tutorial and I actually am really good at writing, but english is not my native language, so I don´t know how good it would be…

Or maybe we switch devloping and writing chapter by chapter…

And on a related note, where do you live?
It´s midnight where I live and I´m about to get off the computer.

If we agree on how to work together and give me your E-Mail, I can send you my code up until now and you can continue on with the next chapter.

Same country here, so I’m going to shut down, too.
I can do both programming and texting.

I haven’t decided whether I care about the money at all. I guess sharing is okay.
Mail address is toolforger@durchholz.org .

I had planned to put the code up for public review by the JME folks, just to make sure it follows best practices.
Are you okay with that?

<cite>@toolforger said:</cite> I had planned to put the code up for public review by the JME folks, just to make sure it follows best practices. Are you okay with that?

Yep, I´d probably have done it myself anyways since I´m only programming with jME for a few months.
But this game is neither 3D nor multiplayer, so I figured I could give it a try. :slight_smile:

I´ll send you my code and we can clear the rest via mail.

1 Like
@m41q said: Yep, I´d probably have done it myself anyways since I´m only programming with jME for a few months. But this game is neither 3D nor multiplayer, so I figured I could give it a try. :)

I´ll send you my code and we can clear the rest via mail.

Your demo looks cool! i’ll be waiting your tuts!
Just a question of time: When you finish the game to play it and check your code?
Thanks a lot!

<cite>@mifth said:</cite> Your demo looks cool! i'll be waiting your tuts! Just a question of time: When you finish the game to play it and check your code? Thanks a lot!

Well thanks! :slight_smile:

The original tutorial has five chapters; the code of the first one is completely finished and I´m about halfway through with the second chapter.
@toolforger and I decided to collaborate in making the port and I don´t know how fast he wants to finish it.

But overall I’d assume to be finished in the course of the next week.

SuperCool!

The code we have now isn’t tutorial-grade yet; I see lots of refactoring, rewriting, and gnashing of teeth ahead.
But it WILL be done. If all goes well, there will be code to show this weekend.