Marble Mania

Hi,

I would like to announce the new Game I’m working on:

Marble Mania

In Marble Mania you can create up to 3 Marbles and play with them online against your Friends!

You don’t even have to register, just download the Game and start playing.

You can play on different Maps and different Gamemodes against your Friends.

Each Time you win against your Friend you gain Experience-Points and for each new Level you reach, you get Skillpoints, which you can spent on the Look of your Marble (e.g. you can change the Texture or add Flames to it) or you can buy new Skills like Invisibility or Extra-Weight for one Turn.

Here are some Screenshots of what Marble Mania looks like currently:

For more Information/Screenshots we have a Site for Marble Mania:

http://marblemania.bazinga-productions.com/ (The Trailer is obviously not about Marble Mania, but I’ll make one as soon as the Game is ready)

Or

http://bazinga-productions.com

Most of the Features are already working and hopefully I can release a first playable Version soon.

So what do you think of the Game?

1 Like

Dude this looks awesome! Is this jME3?

You’re on to a really cool art style here. It reminds me of what you see come out of those mockup tools, along these lines:

Somehow it always looks minimalist and appealing.

I would like to do a little interview with you later :slight_smile: We got one coming up already and more announcements to come (and we’ll definitely let the alpha-2 announcement sink in first, wohoo!) so I’d say in about a months time would be more appropriate for the both of us?

Ooo nice project! :slight_smile:

Are you using JME2 or JME3 for it?

What about network layer? JGN?

Wow…thanks for the compliments :slight_smile:

I use JME3 + NiftyGUI.

I actually wrote my own Network-Layer, but I'm not quite sure yet if I will stay with my own Implementation or switch to JGN. My Implementation pretty much has the same Design as JGN so it wouldn't be too much work to switch to JGN.

I'm really happy you like the design, because usually my designs aren't really that good. (actually they pretty much suck :D)

It would be an honor for me to do an interview. Never thought somebody would ask me that.

Just send me a Message when you want to do it :wink:

Hopefully in a month there will be also a playable Version online, so the people can actually play the Game and see what I'm talking about.

Creativ said:
(...)
I actually wrote my own Network-Layer, but I'm not quite sure yet if I will stay with my own Implementation or switch to JGN. My Implementation pretty much has the same Design as JGN so it wouldn't be too much work to switch to JGN.
What's this talk about JGN? Don't you know there's a much sexier networking library roaming the jungle these days, called SpiderMonkey? ;) You should drop your feature requests and any other technical feedback in there whenever you've got something to share. If you take a liking to it, maybe your game could serve as the first live demo for SpiderMonkey.

Hopefully in a month there will be also a playable Version online, so the people can actually play the Game and see what I'm talking about.
That's what I like to hear! Best of luck in the month to come ;)

Very cool!

@Erlend, there's actually a tool to make mockups like that?!

this game looks fun!

nice work

erlend_sh said:

What's this talk about JGN? Don't you know there's a much sexier networking library roaming the jungle these days, called SpiderMonkey? ;) You should drop your feature requests and any other technical feedback in there whenever you've got something to share. If you take a liking to it, maybe your game could serve as the first live demo for SpiderMonkey.

I will definitely try SpiderMonkey!
Currently I don't really need any special Features.
I already wrote my own Synchronization, so I pretty much only need to be able to send Messages, but Voice Chat sounds like a really cool Feature.
Is there already a first Version available? I couldn't find one, but maybe I missed it.

title instantly made me think of marble madness - oh well, no such luck

Creativ said:
(...) I will definitely try SpiderMonkey!
(...) Is there already a first Version available? I couldn't find one, but maybe I missed it.
Oh wups, sorry, I forgot to mention that there's no working version out and about just yet. You can keep up with Lars' progress through his own websvn. Send a pm/mail his way and and maybe you can get your hands on a pre-release of sorts ;)

SpiderMonkey is easily integrated. I recently put up an ant build.xml which created all the jar files (source, binary, javadoc). You can then just link these jars in your own project.

Do keep in mind though that it's very much a work in progress…

I've been using it since the first commit, or very close to that, and we've come a long way. But I still find stuff on a daily basis. It's currently very workable though.

Thanks for the Link.

I already started working on replacing my own Network-Stuff with SpiderMonkey.

I'm actually almost finished…at least theoretically. :smiley:

SpiderMonkey pretty much has the same design like my Network-Stuff, so it was pretty easy to change it, but I'm currently stuck on a small Bug. I already wrote Levia, so hopefully it will be fixed soon and I can check if everything works, but the Login already works :slight_smile:

Lars usually fixes gus within one or two days. But I'll remind him of it when I get home tonight.

What's the bug you found then? You mean the one where the server starts spamming the log when you close the client?

I had a few more Bugs, but most of them were fixed pretty fast by Lars.  For Example there was a Bug causing a NullPointerException when calling connect.

It's almost working again, there are just a few things still not quite working, but I'm getting there :slight_smile:

Just wanted to give you a quick Update on Marble Mania.

It’s almost done. :slight_smile:

I already made a small Trailer. You can see it here: http://mm.bazinga-productions.com/

I hope you like the Trailer.

I only need to fix a couple of Bugs on the Server-Side and set up the Server and then I’ll release a first Beta-Version of Marble Mania :slight_smile:

Excellent! Let’s do an interview when you consider it “officially released” mkay? :slight_smile:

So I understand you’re using SpiderMonkey for networking now, right? Guess that’ll make your game Lars’ first live example of his work :wink:

Sounds good! I’ll write you when I’m done with a first official release :wink:

Yep, I use SpiderMonkey now. I just hope my Project won’t be like how not to do it. :smiley:

It has been quite some time since I last wrote here, but I’m really busy with University right now.

Anyways, I just uploaded a first Version of Marble Mania. The Link to the Webstart is on the Site http://marblemania.net or you can just click here.

On the Site you can also see if the Server is online.

If nobody’s online to play against you, you can just write me :slight_smile: (or ask a Friend and make a little promotion for Marble Mania:D)

Feedback is of course greatly appreciated.

I hope you like the Game and there aren’t too many Bugs. Hopefully the Server is stable enough, so he doesn’t crash all the time:D

3 Likes

Smacktastic! Started it up without a hitch on a 64-bit Windows 7. Will try on Ubuntu soon. No players around at the moment though; you should really have a 1-player fallback just for testing you know :wink:

My promise to you: No jME core developer will remain unchallenged!

All the feedback I got for now: Interface was sweet and snappy and the sounds were spot on. Only thing I missed was some high-spirited music to match the jolly color scheme. You could shop around to see if you find anything you like on Jamendo, but you’d be surprised how many talented composers/mixers offer their work for free on sites like gamedev.net to get a foot into the game industry. I can help you find your way around there if you’d like.

So hey man, this calls for an interview! You’ll hear from me by e-mail shortly. Also, this got tweeted.

I tested the game and had a lot of fun playing with you Creativ.

Great Work!!