(March 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

Cool
Thank you very much Paul.
Learned a new thing today :wink:
I am going to do the same approach for my game :slight_smile:

Hey.

I haven’t posted anything here for ages. All of my personal stuff has been too unfinished. What I’ve worked on during daytime has been unofficial. Until now.
I won’t translate the Norwegian in the video, but in between it you’ll see some jMonkeyEngine + virtual reality bits. Maybe you can deduce the context from that :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFd8_g1OCzI

12 Likes

Very nice work Rickard, very nice application for VR :wink:

On a side note…
omg those moustaches!!!

9 Likes

Shhhh… they are sleeping under the ceiling…

Damn, we were too loud. Does anyone have a stealth skill?

19 Likes

This is truly some sweet oxidated copper texture :heart_eyes:

Portet to jme3.2 and tried directly to achieve a heightbasedterrain with pbr:

14 Likes

Nice minimap

Working on a block-sprite editor so that my kids can create objects for our games…

Now I need to add a tool GUI, color selector, etc… really the sky’s the limit now.

This is using my mblock library internally which is the (some day open source) beginnings of the block stuff I’ve extracted from Mythruna as a separate library. For this editor I’m using quarter scale and just plain blocks with a single material with a palette atlas. So that’s just one object.

17 Likes

With a dad like you, your kids probably don’t need to buy video games!

3 Likes

@pspeed, that is so cool.
Yeah I know what you are talking about. My kids constantly test my games and I also made some stuff for them over the years. Mostly for a tablet or phone.
You should make the blocks drag and drop for android as well.
Could be nice.

Maybe, when you are finished, you create a full suite for kids learning JME/Game development :wink: I honestly think that a lot of people might be interested in something like this…

Anyway, nice work!

Maybe. I’ll probably open source it at some point and let it evolve that way. There will be a lot of manual hand-holding/quick-fixing when run locally. I don’t need it to work perfectly right out of the gate.

The plan is to have the basics coded before my kids’ spring break. Then while I still work at my day job, give them some sort of small assignments to work on their own… coming to me for tech support as needed. That evening we’ll see how they did… they’ll get new marching orders and I’ll probably get a list of bugs to fix that evening.

It’s an experiment. I may have to give them device-anti-incentives… like “you can’t surf imgur until you’ve worked X hours” or whatever.

Times are so different. When I was their age, I had little else to do but tinker on the PC. They’ve got a 100 different brain-distractions that are easy paths of least resistance. So I may need to add some resistance.

4 Likes

how old are your kids?
mine is 1.1 years old and atm he sucks at programming :smiley:

11 and 13… though the 13 year old will be 14 in May. He also got a smart phone for Christmas so is easily distracted when that’s in his hand. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, kids… me, I never get distracted by my phone or any - oooh, cat videos!

2 Likes

Please keep us posted about how you kids are playing with this game. Also, when is their spring break?

My calendar says April 8th through the 17th.

I can finally save stuff… so I got side tracked playing around:

15 Likes

Dude, that looks beautiful.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been away for a long time in this thread but now I have something to show.
Unfortunately it is not a screenshot but 8 sec video. I finally made serverside physics currently without clientside interpolation, primitive (for now) AI and environment AI that spawns angry wolves (and other troubles in future). Game became much more challenging and funny.

7 Likes