(March 2018) Monthly WIP & Screenshot thread

I discovered that I can press buttons like Esc or Ctrl+X.

On the SDK you can press F1 for help.

The color themes don’t do it justice and ruin all the fun though :expressionless:

Actually have the level with proper environment loaded into a basic JME app (note the blue cube from my simple-jme example I cloned to make this):

It’s so far not a very complicated (or complete) level as I just needed something quick for testing.

I will swing back and add tunnels, other rooms, etc. at a future time.

10 Likes

Detaching unconnected stuff was the ying, this is the yang - so you can select the entire dropped sections and put them back on:

Still pretty buggy though, and no rotations.

16 Likes

I needed an object to throw around in my environment so I made a power cube that will eventually be for health/energy drops, etc.

It will look better when bloom is on and the light is all glowy. The light will be different colors for different types of power-ups. (And the cube itself may change colors also.)

The big deal (for me) is that I modeled this 100% in Blender… which I’m still getting used to. My other things in this thread, I modeled in TinkerCad and imported them. For either approach, I’m slowly becoming a UV master. :wink:

9 Likes

I’m still learning JME and I want to share my progress; what I learn so far except importing models textures and using fog filter, generate terrain using a heightmap create sky using the SkyBox and light filter for sun simulation.

17 Likes

Cube a bit more in context with some bloom and other post-processing:

12 Likes

When I see your last screenshots I think about Kerbal Space Program :slight_smile:

I think about the box in Portal. :smiley:

Over the last weeks i was pimpin my clouds:

17 Likes

Looking good already. What is the approach that you use?

it is based on raymarching with a noise texture. Stepping through several height-layers and transferring the noise with fractal brownian motion

1 Like

Yeah, not going to lie that I was inspired by that a bit… almost more in the negative sense, though. I wanted a cube shaped thing to play with physics. I eventually need a power-up cube of some sort. Then it was “how can I make this look different than a companion cube?” Heheh.

1 Like

Make it into a minecraft grass block? :wink:

2 Likes

But a grass block isn’t affected by any physics, as such I recommend either gravel, sand or concrete powder as those at least fall down.:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

But none of those look like a “power cube”.

Got it hooked up to bullet pretty easily:

This is my first time using bullet.

This scene desperately needs shadows… so that will be next.

17 Likes

I’m working on a framework for building tower defense game on jME. I started with procedural map generation:

Texturing is (poorly) done with a shader.

The pseudo-random algorithms behind the terrain and the path are original and specific for that type of game, but they absolutely need to be perfectioned. I’m working hard to finish the development library as soon as possible, and hopefully I’ll be able to build a game on top of it.

15 Likes

I know this will look pretty much the same as things I’ve already posted but the difference is in what you can’t see:

Each one of those cubes is a Zay-ES entity and completely managed through systems. There is a BulletSystem that keeps PhysicsRigidBodies on their behalf and updates the entity accordingly. There is a ModelViewState that updates the model based on the latest entity position. On the back end side, JME Spatials have been completely abstracted away. The physics engine (BulletSystem) only knows about CollisionShapes. In fact, at the moment, no j3os are loaded by the physics engine at all.

All of this will be open sourced at some point… but it’s my first foray into pounding bullet into submission this way and the codebase to do it is quite small, in the end.

Edit: also, I think it’s funny how every project I ever make reaches a point where I find a “game” to play in it. Here I was trying to see how tall I could stack boxes when I can only shoot them. Pretty tall, actually. I think maybe that makes my “fun gauge” perhaps slightly inaccurate.

16 Likes

What does this statement mean?

It means:

Which may only make sense if you’ve ever used bullet before.

Else, I’m not sure how else to explain it.