Just like movement of trees, I guess :man_shrugging:
So I guess a GIF would’ve also been cool^^

Edit:

NVIDIA RTX and GameWorks Ray Tracing Technology Demonstration

PICA PICA Demo by EA Seed

Experiments with DirectX Raytracing in Northlight

DirectX Raytracing tech demo - accurate real-time reflections

4 Likes

Saw it to… everybody is talking about this Real time ray tracing thing with directx…
But the skeptic in me keeps thinking it looks a bit too good to be true…
I feel the major draw back behind the scene that they are not talking about…
Maybe I’m wrong…

The Northlight one looks very noisy though

Just one hint:
According to the german newspaper: Wahnsinnsgrafik dank Raytracing: Star-Wars-Echtzeitdemo mit Unreal Engine 4 | heise online

The StarWars Demo is running on a Nvidia DGX Station (4x Tesla-V100 with 20480 Shader Units and 2560 Tensor Cores for a cost of 69k USD)

Edit: So to me it’s not really realtime, rather a view of what could be possible in the distant future.

10 Likes

Funny you should post this, @yan. Earlier today my boss was showing me that video. Previously he had mentioned upgrading my workstation later this year, so when I saw the DGX I told him that was the upgrade I wanted. Don’t think I’m gonna be getting it though. :wink:

2 Likes

See ? Let’s keep it to good old rasterisation for now.

3 Likes

Had some time again tonight to push my side project forward a bit…

Got a Zay-ES based debug view setup for my Zay-ES based Bullet integration.

12 Likes

but the gifs are so bigggg … here have a twitter link

1 Like

Looking at these trees, I feel drunk.

1 Like

LUL, ya they aren’t quite right, but some times you just gotta go … good enough and move on

Working on an ES-based animation system so there is a basic character in the scene now.

The idea is that the animation will be layered and reactive based on the state of the character and their movement. This simplifies a lot of things like networking, etc… and in the end will prevent the character’s movement from ever being out of sync with the animation.

However, currently, there is no side-stepping and the backwards walking transition is a little abrupt, lots of timing drilling in to do and so on. Still, I think for a weekend’s work with a really simple model, it shows promise.

In the above video, there is no way to move the character except to hammer him with boxes. Because there is no side-stepping animation to mix in, the feet will slide badly at certain movement angles. This should improve when we add additional animations and tweak the speed-to-movement setup, etc… (Also, it will be easier to test when there is actual non-hammering-with-boxes movement.)

Edit: also note, this is just a stand-in character… but he fits into the rest of the PBR scene quite well.

Edit 2: also also note, you can get some pretty good views of the PBR textures on the cube if you single-step the frames in places. (comma and period, back and forward frame step in youtube)

13 Likes

I see you made a simulator to take out your frustration on forum posters. Mapping the posters forum avatar to the models face could be a nice touch.

4 Likes

Heheh… I think most forum posters believe I just take things out on the forum people directly. :slight_smile:

If that metal man makes it through too many more iterations of the prototype, I may have to load him up into Substance Painter and at least give him some rust and little screws and stuff. Maybe some glowing eyes.

Because of the productivity hacks I’m using, last night I talked myself into working on this prototype for just 10 minutes at least… just so I could keep my chain going. Well, 10 minutes turned into 2 hours… and now I have ES based contacts publishing and a debug state to display them.

It’s hard to capture in a single screen shot but the arrows will change color as the impact impulse gets larger. The idea being that I could trigger sounds off of the ‘bigger’ collisions and not the resting collisions. Next I’m trying to capture the sliding information so I could even make sounds for those.

Basic approach is that a bullet physics collision listener creates contact entities for every collision it sees where one of the endpoints is a entity-based RigidBody. Other systems can use this information for whatever.

17 Likes

awsome dude! looking forward for a sim-eth-es-bullet example :smile:

Now I’m seriously considering switching to Sim-eth-es, even though it would mean rewriting half my game when it’s almost done…

Just to clear up some possible confusion, this prototype doesn’t use sim-eth yet… but that’s the plan. A multiplayer FPS demo using Bullet and other cool JME features.

1 Like

sim-eth-es, hacks with PhysicsSpace, using TaskControl from monkeytrap… Running test on local machine almost always runs on 60fps even on genymotion… This is screenshot from 3 desktop clients, 1 android emulator and my physical smartphone connected to public linux machine (using amazon webservices free trail). And my random thoughts: do I wrote some crap code, do you need to pay for more scalable plan to see results, do I really need centralized server or just to leave on local network :neutral_face:

4 Likes

Peer to peer multiplayer, where a player effectively becomes a host and the rest are clients, is rife with problems, hence modern warfare became a shithouse of a game (just one of many examples). If you want to control the server, you must enclose it away from the player, else they are the control. It is a discussion far too complex for this thread, but basically you should choose based on many many parameters.

Nice work, btw.